1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Can you get somebody to read it for you? Does the site have a warden?

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Some mythology here perhaps? This from an estate agent's blurb:

"There's no doubt that the issue of fixtures and fittings can be very contentious, particularly as there is no law that outlines what should be left in or removed from the house once it has been sold.

Legally, the seller isn't obliged to leave any fixtures or fittings - and some have been known to unscrew all the light bulbs and even dig up plants from the garden prior to their departure.

This may not be illegal, but would probably cause upset to the buyer if they were unaware! It is really a case of common sense, and we advise sellers to draw up an inventory stating what is included in the price and what they intend to take. Ideally this should be done early on in the sale process.

Without an inventory it is assumed that fixtures will be left but fittings removed unless previously included in the agent's details.

Conflict between seller and buyer can be avoided by creating an inventory that states exactly what is included in the sale price and what will be removed."

Agents I have used in the past recommended light fittings to be replaces with bare bulb in holder and cheap curtains to lounge and a bedroom (not always).

3. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Mike, I was chatting to our meter reader last month about smart meters. He told me that the latest meters can do Economy 7, and are compatible with other suppliers, should you decide to change your supplier. I'm not sure if this was a ploy to get me to go over to one as the card he offered included his staff identifier (do they get a bonus for each customer they "convert" to a smart meter?). This was Southern Electric by the way, part of the SSE group.

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Further problem with Smart meters is the maximum distance of 10M between the meter and the monitoring device; the meters are not in the individual flats but in 3 small locked rooms with 20+ meters in each; the block has 64 flats - 16 flats on 4 floors, the closest flats to a meter room have either a wide corridor or emergency stairs between them

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I came to the conclusion a while back that they’re using the word “smart” as in the phrase “smart alek”.

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

We are constantly being told that 'WE ALL' need to cut down on flying to help the environment.
    This really Grinds my Gears.
    Who is the 'WE'...??
    Is it the family who saves all year for their one foreign holiday....??
    Or is it the wealthy and well to do who see flights across the Atlantic as a weekly commute....
    No names mentioned, but take certain members of the Royal Family who with their entourage are going backwards and forwards like a pendulum....!!
    Putting constraints on aviation will only harm certain members of society.... and it won't be the rich....

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  7. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

You don't need to have or use the monitoring device - you could still have a smart meter that would solve the meter reading problem.

MickLL

8. Andrew Flannigan

Dear Monsieur Macron, I was wondering if you might have some spare guillotines in stock... :p

9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

If I was still working it would be me. As it is it's two of my three sons.

I used to take between 100 and 150 flights a year (for 15 years). I argued that there was no real substitute for 'kicking the actual tyres' and sitting across the table from someone and actually looking them in the eye.
    My sons are almost as bad. They both fly a lot and I cannot answer the question about how valuable it is. I guess that they think it necessary because neither likes being away from his family.

MickLL

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I'm guessing Mick that your flights (and now your son's) were/are for business purposes? Also back in the day the environmental damage of aircraft wasn't so known as now. Of course there will always be many times when flying is necessary. It just winds me up when the higher echelons of society and film star 'celebrities' preach to the people that they need to curb their once a year travelling lifestyle to save the planet.

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Having my own teeth.
    For ever, I've had dodgy gums. It has been reluctantly acknowledged by some dentists, that some people are just made that way.
    Anyway, I'm rather fed up with my seemingly endless routine when cleaning them (three different brushes) as well as interdens and floss.
    And still, every young dentist I get (and our turnover is pass the parcel quick) goes on about it. You must blah blah blah, as if I've never heard it before.
    I often wish they were all plastic!! (My teeth, that is. ;) )

12. Andrew Flannigan

I'm still waiting for hard evidence that human activity is a significant cause of the world climate changing. The reality is that it's a convenient religion which saves governments from having to address the real problems. We've built in places we shouldn't have and failed to build coastal defences that we should have.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that making cement is far more damaging to the environment but I don't see demonstrations outside cement works.

In the case of the Australian bush fires, a natural and regular occurrence, climate change is being blamed when actually another human activity, or two, is really to blame. Several states have banned the aboriginal people from controlled burning which results in the build up of dry kindling on the forest floor and makes the inevitable fires much worse. The other cause is arson. Neither is in any way a result of climate change.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    NickM likes this.
  14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Just imagine if we make the world a cleaner, less polluted place where small nations are no longer dominated by nations who control the oil and gas, only to find out it's all a massive hoax.

beatnik69 and Zou like this.
  15. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Umm...no. By definition it will harm the more frequent users far more than the infrequent. Where on earth do you get logic like that? :)

And just to politely point out, the massive increase in air travel that has caused this controversy was created by Easyjet and the explosion of budget airlines. It did not exist in the days when only the "rich" were flying.

SqueamishOssifrage and NickM like this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

I'm all in favour of less polution and a general policy of improving the environment.
    Just like communism, capitalism and brexit.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I've told this forum before that the French did not invent the guillotine. We had one in 'alifax, up in Yorkshire at least two centuries before the French. See the Halifax Gibbet.
    The Scots have (note the tense) another variant; it looks as if theirs would need little refurbishment to get it working. It is in the Edinburgh Scottish National Museum.

18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

You have a valid point. Give the working class an inch and they'll take a mile so to speak.

19. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

In the absence of a harsh enough penalty for Treason, is that why Farage won't cross Hadrian's Wall.... I'd have it working in no time, if I knew he was coming.

20. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Quite correct - all for business. In fact to such an extent that I have to be dragged ,kicking and screaming, to an airport these days. I have flown since retirement of course but very rarely and very unwillingly.

MickLL