1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

If history teaches us anything it's that history teaches us nothing.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

What's that version of the history repeating quote? Something like "those of us who learn from history are doomed to watch history repeat at the hands of those who didn't."

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well,m if Corbyn to Stalin over his hatred of the wealthy, I can only say what immediately sprung to my mind for Johnson. Good old Nero.

4. EightBitTony

[​IMG]

Zou, Learning and SqueamishOssifrage like this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's the one. :)

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

When your phone manufacturer can't be arsed to patch for the GPS date rollover event (approx once in 20 years, but they've just gone 13 bit so won't need done again in my lifetime if I recall correctly) so your GPS files start recording as March 2000.

7. EightBitTony

We'll be fine until 2038.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

peterba and Learning like this.
  9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Vingt Regards sur l'enfant-Jésus by Messiaen - on Radio 3 at the moment. It was on the car radio on my way back from the supermarket, and I immediately thought that it sounded just like the stuff I played and got seriously chastised for when I was around 7 years old. I must be wrong as some (learned?) people reckon it's marvellous, but it is rather discordant.

10. William Bickers-Jones

William Bickers-Jones Active Member

I think Olivier Messiaen is supposed to be "challenging and thought provoking". Some of his organ works I can appreciate when I'm in the right mood, but at other times I just think its a bloody racket...

11. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

In the last 10-15 years, I've made special visits to organ recitals featuring Messiaen's "La Nativité du Seigneur", and I've enjoyed them. Yesterday evening was not the same.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Anything billed as "challenging" or "thought provoking" does not go with the word "entertainment" in my book. :p

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I disagree that thought provoking cannot be entertaining. Perhaps it’s just me, but a lot of music and film is thought provoking and it is still entertaining.

Challenging , I’ll probably agree with you,

Learning likes this.
  14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

A bit like Michael McIntyre?

Or Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I gave that post a 'like' for the joke, not the possible fact:(

Zou likes this.
  16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

He’s beyond challenging. As for thought provoking, yes. I always think, why do people think he’s funny.

Gezza likes this.
  17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

All systems will be using 128 digit (or more) digits by then. I almost wrote that 2038 would be beyond my time. Maybe not. I could be around aged 93. My mother clocked out at around 98.

18. EightBitTony

Except rubbish embedded systems we rely on everywhere which were 32 bit. I agree it's unlikely that they will survive until 2038 and be the right class of problem, but it's not impossible.

Anyway, the year 10k problem is real now too (5 figure dates are already an issue in the computing used to calculate things like radioactive decay for long term storage). I'm pretty sure we will be long gone by then, but somewhere on the planet someone is having to deal with 5 digit years.

19. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

It's mostly a matter of lazy thinking and/or programming. Years ago I wrote a maths extension library to do the four simple arithmetic functions on 64 bit numbers in a 32 bit system. It would be entirely possible to extend that to 128 bit numbers - more complicated, but modern processor speed makes that irrelevant.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  20. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

The lady who coughed, spluttered and sneezed over everybody on the bus yesterday.

I now have a cold.