1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes, I'm sure that's right. I always put on weight after strenuous sport on Friday. Think the body retains more moisture.

2. RovingMike

Olympus have launched a single-handed assault on the environment with most outrageous bit of packaging I have ever seen. Ordered up a new contacts seal for baseplate of my E-M1mk2. It is 18mm x 15mm, made of rubber, totally indestructible by anything except fire and weighs less than a penny.

This is how it arrived just now:

[​IMG]Seal by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

3. RovingMike

It is deeply embedded in corporate culture in my company and historically, most American ones. On no account must there be a post-mortem, it is divisive, negative and backward-looking. We can only define what we are going to do "going forward" without any agreement on, or reference to, what went wrong.

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Poor old George Santayana was wasting his breath, wasn't he?

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Ridiculous system generated letter from Bank of Ireland (Post Office) re my maturing Bond. Thank you for reinvesting with us. Your money has been transferred to your nominated account .......
    Thing is,m my nominated account is with the Royal Bank of Scotland.
    Fortunately, the money got there although the letter from the PO was rubbish.
    When I rang the Bank of Ireland, they excused the rubbish wording on 'system-generated'. Not good enough!

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Happens to me too. Mind you I'm guessing the four pints of Titanic Plum Porter afterwards doesn't help matters...!!

RovingMike, Gezza and Zou like this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Sounds nice, does it go down well? ;)

Seriously though, plum and dark beer, sounds great. Not seen it in the shops, is it a low volume/local thing?

8. RovingMike

Years ago in Uxbridge, I'd lose half a stone in a squash league match, but not leave the bar until it was all back on again. Same in Germany before that, only it was Koelsch in Cologne. Wonderful stuff when you're hot, but rather insipid otherwise.

9. RovingMike

Oh, we repeat the past with monotonous regularity. Or is it regular monotony?

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

This is all very well except that you are putting very personal information onto the web. I realise that I am not anonimous since I leave exif information on images. but I do not comment on my bankinf arrangements. (I hope).

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

and I don't bank online. Inconvenient at times, but safe in other ways.

12. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think you need worry - this is first-rate encryption. I've no idea what you're talking about. ;) :D

Learning likes this.
  13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Poor spelling not encryption.

14. Andrew Flannigan

If you were speaking Navaho we wouldn't know either way...

peterba likes this.
  15. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Navajo speakers in the US Army used their native language to send coded messages during WW1 and WW2.

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Guess what I’m doing again today?

It makes a change from pubes and black hair but my last young guests either plucked a bird of paradise in the bedroom or they liked playing with multi coloured feathers. :eek:

Oh to be young again.

17. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

You mean........ he isn't? ;)

18. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Perhaps you need to change your agency?

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

What to one that bans pubes, hair and feathers?!

I manage it myself through Airbnb and whilst I joke as above, we have had no issues at all in the 18 months or so that we have been doing it. The vast majority of people leave it in a lovely clean condition and for those that don’t it certainly isn’t in a state by any stretch of the imagination, it could be that they have been here for several days, cooked in and perhaps with wet weather so more mopping to do. Despite my joking here, I do actually enjoy having people here. We have had a few who have returned and we got on well with them.

We are superhosts. We are 4.98 out of 5 rated (still p’d off that we lost .2 owing to one bloke) so we must be doing something right.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  20. Andrew Flannigan

That was the point of the quip. {sighs}

Catriona likes this.