1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

But you get so many more degrees for your money in Fahrenheit.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Lots of people still talk about warm temps in Farenheit, and apparently that's true in Australia, too. Remember how old he is, they're probably the units he's most comfortable with.

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Humph! Awa' wi' ye. True scientists use Kelvin. Not degrees Kelvin mind.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

He's also a scientist, and has frequently talked about Celsius in previous programs. Besides, everything is put on post production, so the info has to be gathered and written down first.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Dave,

And yet it's surprising how many people try to "correct" you when you use Kelvin(s), saying that it should be "degrees Kelvin".

Cheers,

R.

GeoffR likes this.
  6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I think Sir David Attenborough is one person we aren't worthy to criticise :)

7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised that it isn't David Attenborough, more some bean pusher who decided that only one narration would be possible, so the discs could be released everywhere without resorting to regional versions.

Footloose likes this.
  8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The programmes sell worldwide so it is probably all about US sales.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I must say that the assumption by most computer manufacturers and programmes that on wants to use US English is frustrating. Having had my computer repaired I have had to reload the British English dictionary to Firefox.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  10. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Guests that don't remove their shoes!

11. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Do you mean before going to bed, or before washing their feet, or what?

12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Holding the door open for someone who then just swans through without even a glance.
    Makes you wish you could rewind 5 seconds then smash the door in their face.....

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My wife has trained me to say "That's OK it was nothing" in a very loud voice to such people.

Geren likes this.
  14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that some years ago Bill Gates proposed that the British dictionary was not going to be supplied with one of it's O/S upgrades ... but then changed his mind, due to the huge amount of hate mail and abuse MS received from people.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Are they not inured to that?

16. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

There's only one English, English English, the rest are merely regional corruptions. :)

17. PhotoEcosse

..and I would add a very similar one - folk for whom you stop the car at a zebra crossing and who march across without a smile of wave of acknowedgement.

18. PhotoEcosse

I would agree with that - but where is this "English English" spoken. Certainly not amongst the normal folk of our capital city and even the BBC has slipped badly in recent decades.

I'd tend not to use the word "corruption" for regional variation. Local dialects are an attractive part of our UK heritage. (OK - maybe I would allow the word "corruption" for the way our Transatlatic cousins have mangled the language.)

19. PhotoEcosse

Only mildly - but very common on this chatroom - the misspelling of "lens" as "lense".

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

People asking for 'advise' instead of 'advice' tend to set my teeth off too.

AlexMonro and PhotoEcosse like this.