1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Film Do you hav in your Camera?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by AJUK, Sep 22, 2005.

1. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

FWIW, I just put a roll of (slightly) outdated Velvia 100F through the SL2 as a test. The meter readings are giving cause for concern, so half the roll is straight from the camera, the other using readings from my R6.2

Off to Peak with it tomorrow; fingers crossed. :)

2. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

Wonderful stuff. Sadly it is now discontinued, but I have half a freezer full. I mostly use it for making copy negs, overexposed and underdeveloped to keep the contrast normal.

3. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

There are alternatives, Read this weeks B&W magazine, what I don't get is neither film is new (or I doubt they are) and one is made by Kodak and the other Agfa but still I never herd of them, Im confused.

4. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

I shot a roll of Agfa Scala (and I am embarrassed I forgot) and that is one hell of a black and white film and one hell of an expensive one too at 12GBP a roll.

Regards,

Provia_fan

5. TimF

Scala

Speaking of Scala, I was saddened to see on 7day's site that Agfa are discontinuing this film; principally because of the cost of the chemistry, so it is said there. There should be sufficient chemistry left until sometime in 2006, but obviously anyone with stocks of Scala should use them up reasonably swiftly.

A sad day. :(

6. Woolliscroft

Re: Scala

Rude word, and I was still in mourning for their old much slower, but amazingly high resolution Dia Direct which was discontinued years ago. I have about 10 rolls of Scala in the freezer. I'll have to use them up. I know you can reverse normal B&W film, but I have never been happy with the results I have had.

I had seen the piece on high definition film in B&W magazine. At present I have enough Tech Pan in the freezer to last for a couple of years, but I will have to check out the alternatives. For the copy work I do I get OK results with Ilford Pan-F, but you still get visible grain from the copy film. With Tech Pan you can only see the grain from the photo being copied.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite. I love Scala, and I'm still using my 120 Scala (see above) - I really will miss it. :(

8. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

I really wanted to try Scala, Should of bought the out of date stuff Jessops had half price :(

"IMPORTANT NOTE - THIS PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY FILM PROCESSING ! "

Wierd I thought it was all proccess paid!

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It was, but this stuff probably dates from the time when the original UK lab went bust, leaving Scala without any UK processing.

10. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

So where does it go?

11. TimF

Now it goes to Primary. Then, it went to Joe's Basement.

12. snapperlondon

snapperlondon Well-Known Member

But that includes processing doesn't it? The rolls of 35mm that I bought did (and the 120 that didn't was cheaper than that)!

13. snapperlondon

snapperlondon Well-Known Member

I've had a look at Primary's website (the lab that process Scala) and there is no mention of the film being discontinued!

http://www.primary-colour.com/

14. Woolliscroft

Yes, Scala is process paid and is much the same price as other process paid slide films.

15. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Good luck!

As for me I'm down to a single camera these days (having sadly parted with my C330 kit to afford a decent 35mm slr), so my EOS 3 is loaded with FP5+ most of the time, though occasionally Fuji Neopan, oh, I do have a Rollei 35 as well, tend to use FP5+ with that too.

Tom

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Agfa have just announced that they're discontinuing all B&W film.

17. TimF

I saw the announcement on 7day. As Nick has already mentioned, all Agfa B&W is going. The others don't particularly concern me (Agfa wasn't a specially noted player in the field really), but Scala was unique. :(

18. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

So Agfa are discontinuing all Medium format and B&W film, Arn't they the 2 types of film that are still quite popular? Saying that I sold 6 rolls of AGFA film today all Colour neg.

19. Woolliscroft

Or maybe HP5+ ?

20. TimF

The roll came back this morning, and sadly the SL2 meter looks to have a fault. All the pictures taken using its readings are overexposed, ranging from about half a stop up to around two stops, as was suggested from the R6.2 meter when shooting. Damn! :( If the problem was consistent there'd be a workaround. As it happens, back to Richard Caplan - just hope the thing is economic to fix.