1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You should try things like rice when you're cooking for one! Ha! At least I can use it up another day (or two).
    It's easy when you are on your own to eat rubbish nibbles or snacks and forget about a meal. Then I feel I want something nice, but it always ends up too much.
    Actually, we had an Iceland at one time and I loved it. They did a street food range which was an excellent size pack. Now if I buy a ready meal it's always too much.

2. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

STREEET FOOD I could go a nice pulled pork roll in a High Street somewhere or a Bacon Sarnie from a greasy spoon we had bacon sarnies today but eating them overlooking the sea is so much better, or fish n chips sittting overlooking the river Stour on Sandwich Quay . My mouth is salivating o_O

Catriona likes this.
  3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Me!
    Corned beef, garlic mayo, onion and cucumber sandwiches/rolls are a regular resident of my lunchbox and I love corned beef hash although a lot depends on the corned beef I find some of it rather tasteless but recently discovered ASDA's own brand, which is really good and only £1.30 for 4 slices and made the best lunch I had all week!

Also corned beef salad for a hot day when I can't be asked to cook

4. LesleySM

I have always been the same as Nige's friend, to me it does taste soapy, not massively so I have eaten coriander in Indian food and it doesn't put me off although at home I never use it

Apparently there is also a genetic element to the taste of Brussel sprouts and asparagus both of which I love!

Catriona likes this.
  5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

There is a pub in Manchester that makes corned beef hash with their home made corned beef. Far removed from the tinned stuff and really nice.

ascu75 likes this.
  6. LesleySM

Some friends of mine are in a covers band and when I can afford to go to their gigs I do and I am always very happy when they play the Admiral Vernon in Leyton-more than a bit of a bugger to get to bit worth it not so much for the band as the best pulled pork rolls ever!

Catriona likes this.
  7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I like tinned corned beef, but comparing it to pastrami is chalk and cheese

8. dream_police

I like tinned corned beef in hash but not in a butty. I would never buy the sliced stuff. I don't mind pastrami, although I find it a bit too salty.

9. LesleySM

I also love the Iceland street food range and also they do this range called "Proper" pies. Being on my own I find most pies are either just a little too small or they are family sized. A family sized pie lasts me 3-4 meals and I get bored of it after day 2 but it has to be used up but these "Proper" pies are just the right size for me being a little bigger than the usual small ones but not massive, they're a quid each and they're really nice.

I am having a chicken, ham and leek one for dinner tonight with new potatoes and peas or possibly mash (If feeling really lazy it'll be carrot and swede mash from the freezer another thing Iceland's do very well £1 for 4 individual portions just pop in microwave)

The cats dinner was sardines in tomato sauce......I have no idea why but they love the tomato sauce. Sardines in oil gets a sorta of "Okay but meh" reaction but as soon as they smelt the tomato sauce I had Ganzi climbing up my leg to get to it.....given he weighs around 12 pounds and I was only wearing thin cotton pants my screams were probably heard in the USA!

10. LesleySM

I love pastrami although yes, it is salty and as a general rule I don't like salt but pastrami, salted peanuts and proper chips from the chippy are the exceptions

Catriona likes this.
  11. dream_police

Pastrami, peanuts and chippy chips? Another one of your combo's?

12. LesleySM

Even I couldn't come up with that one!

dream_police likes this.
  13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

96233061_10156972381921669_6830502596403265536_o.jpg

Catriona and dream_police like this.
  14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Going to BBQ a bit of Rib-Eye, with cheap and cheerful oven chips and a drop of Rioja. Was going to do more, but TBH if I hadn't already defrosted it I would have had something lighter.

Catriona likes this.
  15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Bottle of Elsie Mo pale ale with various barbecued items.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Eggy veggie fried rice. Glass and a half of wine.
    Enough!

John Farrell likes this.
  17. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Another vote for corned beef but I~ like mine with pickle and jacket tater. Mind you I like most cold and tinned meats that way, ham, spam, corned beef etc. The other accompaniment for cold cuts is bubble and squeak, especially with slices from the Sunday beef or pork joint, dunno why but he only use for lamb left from a joint is shepherds pie.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I like corned dog in the right circumstances. One should be living in a cave or at least under canvas. Even if one is not gregarious by nature one should be with people with whom one has shared discomfort or even danger. In some ways like bloody spam. It comes with memories but is a big let down in covid isolation.

19. Learning

Shepherds pie needs an oven. It is civilised. Left over lamb is actually as good as goat meat in a curry and can be cooked in a sufuria over a camp fire or charcoal fuelled jiko.

20. Learning

At last to this evening. I am hesitant to report. I have made a pig of myself. I feel guilty.
    When I made my rare dangerous visit to Morrisons a couple of days ago I bought a far too big lump of sirloin at ten pounds a kilogram. When the remains have cooled I will portion it up, keep a couple of portions in the fridge for later in the week and the rest for the freezer. I am bloated. This was not poor quality stuff being flogged off. It is prime beef. I suspect that it was destined for the posh restaurant trade that has collapsed. I did roast potatoes (one potato cut in half), roast parsnips, carrots, the remains of a fennel, a floret of cauli, and a generous helping of thick English asparagus. With this food I enjoyed a half litre bottle of Baron de Ley Rioja so I am slightly pissed as well as bloated.

John Farrell likes this.