1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Not in one sitting, but yes I ate it all.

Zou and Learning like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Salmon salad.

Drinking one of the Co-op's wines called Fruit Orchestra. £8 a bottle and actually very fruity and tasty but not too sweet. A mix of Chenin Blanc and Viognier and they go well together.

John Farrell likes this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Mac n cheese will be tonight’s offering but making it with smoked cheddar for a change. My wife won’t be home until 8 pm so at least it’s the sort of thing I can make and bung in the oven when she lets me know she’s almost home.

Catriona likes this.
  4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Tonight will be a fairly uncouth pie, chips and beans. Accompanied by a mug of tea. I drank rather more than normal last week, so going dry this week, otherwise I would have had a beer.

Catriona likes this.
  5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Sausage casserole, took ages to do because I did it in a slow cooker but sausages, carrots, onions, mushrooms and new potatoes done in water that was loaded with Oxo, black pepper, chilli powder and garlic. Basically I started it last night on high then switched it off when I went to bed and had it on the warm setting for a good few hours today. The result was one of the best things I have ever eaten! And there's so much left I can switch it on low when I go out tomorrow and come home to a hot meal with no fuss and there may well be enough for Tuesday if I pop some more veggies in it and given the sausages were reduced to clear as were the mushrooms and everything else was leftovers I think the whole damn thing has cost me about £3

John Farrell likes this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Yesterday our Morrisons was selling small joints of boneless sirloin at £13/kg and a nice Cotes du Rhone for eight quid. I should get three more meals out of the beef and even another meal from the wine. I rationed the wine by decanting half the bottle into an empty half bottle for tomorrow and sealed it with one of those vacu-vin stoppers.

John Farrell likes this.
  7. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I find that wine doesn't deteriorate when kept for 24 hours in a partly empty bottle - sometimes it even improves.

8. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Just heating the oven to put in a small (1kg) leg of lamb. Fifteen minutes at 230 degrees C, then 45 minutes at 175 degrees. This will be accompanied by new potatoes, broccoli, and the remains of last night's bottle of Merlot.

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Having a veg lasagne tonight. Altered the recipe so I didn't use as much cheese (getting to resemble a snake that swallowed a pig) so will see what it tastes like. Probably need to use a far stronger cheese, but this is just a test....mind you, I did make four of them, so if the test isn't good...…...:confused:

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Bit of baguette, brie, tomatoes, hard boiled egg, pickled onions, pickled beetroot, homemade coleslaw, lettuce, cucumber, red onions, black olives. One whisky.

11. dream_police

Tonight I am roasting a whole cauliflower with Harissa spice, with fresh mint, corriander, and goats cheese. I am also cooking a tagine of carrots and chickpeas. I may have a touch of wind tomorrow.

John Farrell, Derek W and Catriona like this.
  12. Catriona

My dinner is going to be duck and jasmine rice with a splash of Katsu curry sauce. Hope my new filling manages it.

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

explains the use of the respirator in the portraits thread...:eek:

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

explains the respirator in the portraits thread:eek:

Catriona and dream_police like this.
  15. Derek W

Sounds yummy

16. Catriona

Very tasty. Did a very little duck meat and a perfect small avocado with the jasmine rice. Delicious.

My newly baked sultana scone/rock cakes are no bad either. :)

DaveS likes this.
  17. dream_police

I take it you don’t mean my wind!

My wife will be home at around 1930 so the cauliflower is just marinading in the harissa/olive oil/garlic/seasoning mix ready to be put in the oven in about 15 mins. I think it might be quite spicy. The carrot tagine takes about 1/2 hour so I’ll start preparing that soon.

18. Derek W

Definitely the food

19. dream_police

It was very nice. I’ll make that one again.

Derek W likes this.
  20. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

It sounds great and I have found a recipe. Is the harissa very spicy?