1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Soy sauce, pork bone stock, sesame.

Learning likes this.
  2. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Just shoulder slices in gravy usually £4, which is a bit dear but very nice but a month or so back they had several packs in the reduced to clear shelf for £1.02 each I had one with all the trimmings and did one tonight for sandwiches tomorrow (I love cold lamb probably more than hot) and there's still two in the freezer

I like stuff from a decent butcher but sadly last week the best one around here closed down after the owner died, it wasn't that local 20 minutes each way on the bus but I was far from the only one to make the trip there for a start he did mutton and those cuts that seem to have fallen out of favour like neck of lamb and scragg end (I can get a fantastic stew out of either in the slow cooker) and the best bacon etc

3. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Just had some Glorious! Indian Sweet Potato and Coconut Daal Soup and very nice it was to.

Glorious! is the brand name of the soup by the way

4. Derek W

I will be having piri piri chicken thighs with rice once in has finished cooking.

Here it is ready for the oven.

piripirichicken.jpg

5. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Roast lamb with new Jersey Benne potatoes, gravy, baby carrots, and peas, with a Jacobs Creek Limestone Coast Shiraz.

Learning likes this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Tonkatsu (pork katsu) with rice, a spinach and olive and lemon and walnut salad and some sauteed peppers.

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Shakshuka for us last night. I bought some feta to crumble on top but only remembered when we'd finished eating. I think it would have been nice with feta too.

Zou likes this.
  8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

A rather nice Cook frozen Roasted Veg Lasagne, which we picked up on way back from indoor tennis. Do very much like Cook's stuff when we have to grab ready meals.

9. dream_police

We have bought some deserts from them before and they have been good. We recently bought a fish pie (we had one years ago) and it was very disappointing though.

10. dream_police

At a dilemma for tonight now. We have been meat free for January and I have stuck to it. Do I stay veggie or eat meat again? I have not missed it as such but equally I'd hate to think I'll never eat it again. I also feel guilty that I am thinking about eating meat. Strange.
    We are going to the pictures tonight and there is a great little Italian (very traditional, owned and run by Italians). They have a very small menu with nice hams and a brilliant lasagne. Choices, choices!

11. LesleySM

I have mince, onions, carrots and new potatoes in the slow cooker but I started it a bit late so dinner tonight is Presidents Brie on crackers and very nice it is as well. The mince will be good for dinner tomorrow.

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Too late by now I suppose but Italian ham would almost be as good a way for breaking your meat fast as British beef or lamb.
    For me this evening roasted topside. When suitable joints of fore rib or sirloin are not available and guests are not being entertained it is good to keep up ones expertise in cooking, and microtomically calving lesser cuts. My supermarket had temptingly knocked a couple of quid off a nice but not OTT Côtes du Rhône so a glass or two too many of that. Same again tomorrow and the day after, but with different veg. Cut thinly the meat was very good and tasty; cut thickly it would still have been tasty but too tough.

13. Learning

Do you ever add a mild chilli (such as red jalapeno) and a crushed clove of garlic to that mix? Provided you like that sort of thing it raises a very ordinary dish to something special. Dumplings are just too much trouble and too calorific for me to cook but I enjoy them when a friend cooks them.

14. Learning

How many to serve?Seven pieces is difficult unless you have seven people. Too much for one. Seven is a prime number. I reckon three servings at table and chef's perk in the kitchen.:)

15. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Pretty obstetrical.....

Learning likes this.
  16. Learning

Sorry for that. Carving, carving, carving. Not calving.

John Farrell likes this.
  17. LesleySM

I added some finely chopped mouli, coarse ground black pepper and dried red chillis (not sure what they are I just buy them in the local Asian shop for pennies and they give a nice warming kick!) but I am out of fresh garlic so just had to use garlic puree

I have been known to make dumplings but like you although I love them I find them too much trouble to make normally

18. Derek W

Or one greedy bugger :D

Zou likes this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Today will be pork escalope, apple sauce and veg.

John Farrell likes this.
  20. Learning

Getting towards the end of the week. A cooked chicken breast, the last decent meat off a carcass, coarsely pulled apart, reheated to a safe temperature in very good gravy, and a challenge of timing with far too many types of almost leftover veg, some roasted and some simmered. I drank more Mâcon-Villages than intended. Tomorrow will be a dry night; I have consumed the week's ration of alcohol.
    I initially liked that and then cancelled the like. I hope that it was a joke. You didn't really eat all that...... Did you?