1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Well with tinned Irish stew its just the other way round, I add vegetables to it. I like it so thick I can eat it with a fork and just mop the gravy up with some bread (A good thick crusty bloomer for preference but anything bread wise will do)

Didn't have the ravoli tonight, got the new halogen oven set up last night so sausage and chips with baked beans. I really could not be asked to faff about sausages and chips in oven then 5 minutes before the end beans on pan on ring to heat up

I think a lot of my fondness for something out of tin is down to Dave. When he got his first bedsit (When I met him he was squatting and sofa surfing) the oven didn't work only two of the rings and the grill was likely to explode on a regular basis he used to make toast on the gas fire) and he had one saucepan. Irish stew with marrowfat peas (he called them "cafe peas" because in those days he reckoned you only saw them in proper "greasy spoon" cafes) was a regular as were Campbell's tinned meatballs and those tinned burgers "Westlers" I think they were called (Not seen them for years probably closed down on health grounds as I suspect they were the equivalent of Dibblers "sausage inna bun" in Discworld) and strange things like something called "breakfast slice".

So they make me feel a little nostalgic well, right up until I eat them (apart from Irish Stew if it's a good one it's still fine- I miss "Newforge" and "Safeways" ones but the "Tesco" one isn't bad)

2. LesleySM

Get them very occasionally in the Co-Op but they are expensive but should their stocking them coincide with me having some money I will try them

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

And anything confit is cooked slowly in fat. Might be very tasty but ain't healthy.

4. LesleySM

Since the odds are very much against the Co-Op having them in stock when I have the money to buy a couple of legs I am not going to worry about that, it would strictly if it ever happened be a one off

5. LesleySM

Steak and ale pie, new potatoes, steamed cauliflower and broccoli, with garden peas and sweet corn- very nice. Rest of pie tomorrow probably with mash and peas etc.

John Farrell likes this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pork meatballs (homemade) with gravy, last of the xmas port and cranberry sauce, and oven chips last night. Soooooo much better than IKEA's finest.

Tonight is bean burgers leftovers, with rice and possibly salad. Perhaps a blood orange for afters.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Potato, carrot and celery cake finished off in oven. Topped with spinach and poached egg.
    Just fine and not too full.

Zou likes this.
  8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Just waiting on Sarah driving back from Harrogate, so I have a meal in the oven cooking. Potato mashed with butter, milk, 2 eggs and parmesan cheese. Half put into the bottom of a large dish. Cubed Gruyere cheese on top of that. Mushrooms cooked down with garlic and parsley on top of that with their juices, then topped with the other half of the mash. Grated parmesan on top to create a crust. Will be having that with peas. Still no meat.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  9. Catriona

Yum!

10. dream_police

Hope so. Not had it before. It was in a Nigel Slater cook book.

Catriona likes this.
  11. LesleySM

Well dinner tonight was going to be sausages with cheese, leek and onion mash but the sausages are not defrosted yet so I will have to improvise probably cheese, onion and mushroom omelette or fish and chips. Not really hungry today so the sausages will do in the morning with eggs, toast, mushrooms and beans- proper Sunday morning breakfast, possibly with a couple of hash browns if I can find them or potato croquettes

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Tonight it will be pan fried salmon fillet and chips. Not sure about Sunday lunch, I may defrost a portion of venison stew, possibly with herby dumplings.

Catriona likes this.
  13. dream_police

Sarah is making us a vegetarian chilli tonight. By the sounds coming from the kitchen I am expecting it to be hot!

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Hoots Mon! It'll be haggis with tatties and neeps, because we'll be commemorating a man who drank and shagged himself into the ground* before he was 40 -good effort that chap!

*Not actually true, but it's a good tale, and he was very fond of both drinking and swiving.

MJB and Zou like this.
  15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Probably bananas. I've peeled a few this evening.

LesleySM, DaveM399 and dream_police like this.
  16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Haggis!
    But with roast potatoes, carrots and tenderstem broccoli.

Could have gone Chinese, as it is Chinese New year as well.

Does that make it a Chinese Burn?:p

Geren and Zou like this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Toss-up between a delivery (haggis) pizza, or pork shoulder steaks with olives and fennel; latter won.

18. LesleySM

Ended up using up some spuds and leeks that needed finished off with a couple of onions and some frozen sprouts, mashed them with some butter, garlic puree and black pepper was going to do bubble and squeak but had some cheese to use up so did a cheese and mushroom omelette to top it with then added HP on top. Would not win any awards for looks but tasty and my 5-a-day in there! And any leftover veg (if there is any) will be bubble and squeak for breakfast

19. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Vegan burgers, the brand was Naked Glory, the tag line was "Free of meat, full of taste"

All I can say is they burn very easily when cooking and they taste of..well... nothing, absolutely no flavour what so ever.

I will not be buying them again that's for sure.

20. Catriona

Well, take your pick.
    It is either my tastebuds or
    The beef in ale was really unpleasantly sour

or the roast potatoes had seen better days or
    the Chardonnay was off
    but
    it was not a satisfying experience.

Of course, it could be having lunch (an aberration) instead of dinner was a big mistake!