1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

"I told you I would feed you. I did not say who I would feed you to".

John Farrell likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yum! That duck, redcurrant jelly, mash and veg was delicious.

Learning and DaveS like this.
  3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Dinner tonight meatballs, leeks, mushrooms and pasta topped with tomato sauce and grated cheese (Red Leicester as I am out of Parmesan). I really MUST set up my new HO (and send the old one back, it developed a fault but I am waiting on another order from the same company that will then have to go back so I can box it all up together)

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I could not give you a like for that and I may later regret this post. Sometimes when I am feeling a bit shattered by dinner time I admit that I do something almost similar. I keep a few tins of small potatoes, a few tins of Prince's chicken curry, and tins of d'aucy Ratatouille in my cupboard. They make a very good combination. Please don't gloat that the d'aucy product is French. I know. Sometimes there are occasions when principles are too difficult to follow.

5. Learning

Our local Coop sells all of those and they are made in Britain. When foreigners make something good I have no problem copying and perhaps improving.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Round 2 of weekend stew with rice. In a bowl. Nae salad.

Derek W, MJB and Catriona like this.
  7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Homemade pheasant jalfrezi with roasted squash (homegrown with homegrown herbs) - - delicious, though should have done rather more squash.

I may have got the colour scheme for the meal a bit wrong too... it's all orange!
    IMG_6432.jpg

Learning and Zou like this.
  8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I trust you've been on the brewery tour at Hook Norton? A very pleasant afternoon when we went.

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I think everyone has some useful tins for those moments when they cannot be bothered to whip up a cordon blue meal. Tonight I may be having Princes ravoli on toast

Learning likes this.
  10. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Indeed I have - and it was for us too. It's also where we tend to do our last minute emergency Christmas shopping.

11. Catriona

Mixed homemade potato patties with chopped up celery and carrots, and left over duck with redcurrant jelly. Followed by deconstructed Peach Melba. :) Full up!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  12. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I've got about 10 packs of vegetable microwave rice in the cupboard.

When I cant be bothered to cook I just stick a pack in the microwave for 2 mins and i'm sorted

Learning and Catriona like this.
  13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Defrosted a portion of king prawn jalfrezi with rice. Yep, boring.

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I always have a couple of tins of chunky vegetable soup in the cupboard. Chuck in some diced meat and it's instant stew.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Perfect with a bag of mixed leaves?

dream_police and MJB like this.
  16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

On which note, tonight is round 3 of the stew but this time in the form of a pie.

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Left over curry and cheesecake from Saturday night.

18. Catriona

I find the Gressingham confit duck legs a great standby in the fridge. Thirty minutes in the oven and the meat falling off the bones. Does me three meals easily.
    I do have a can of Freefrom Balti vegetable curry I'm dithering about using. Maybe tomorrow!

19. Learning

Now Gressingham duck in all its forms, seems to be a bit up market. It isn't up market. Anybody can buy it. Anyone can cook it. Most of the flavour of a wild mallard but no lead shot,a bird of young age; you can even roast a whole bird, although I prefer them jointed so that the legs get ninety minutes and the breasts fly through the oven in less than fifteen. I cannot say that a two helping package lasts three meals, but as one course in a five course dinner might do two.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  20. Learning

Thanks for that. I have never considered pheasant in a jafrezi dish. I might well try it. Do you suggest fairly fresh pheasant or getting a bit purple, or somewhere in between?