1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Steak and yet another version of bubble and squeak.

2. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Trying another tomato thing. Added some butter beans and chopped red pepper. Also found a mushroom that didn't go into the stew I did yesterday so diced that.
    Cooking down now.
    Will do a bit of pasta to put it on.

Catriona likes this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Making chicken fajitas tonight. I couldn’t find soured cream in the shop though which is a bit annoying.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Roasting butternut squash with a nut/mushroom stuffing and pecorino cheese on top.

5. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Veggie curry and dal - I predict round two tomorrow. Failed to find any of the tatties on the first incursion (no rice or breads) but rectified that on the second. The other half of last night's melion is chilling in the fridge for later.

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Not entirely a success. The beans were tough despite soaking overnight before boiling and giving a long cooking.
    Dunno.

7. dream_police

There’s a bar a couple of KMs away that is supposed to do the best paella in the area, you have to book it the day before. Sarah went in yesterday to book. Their English was as poor as her Spanish. She booked it for 8 tonight for 2 people. I have a feeling they will have prepared one for 8 people at 2 and we’ll be 6 hours late!

peterba, Zou, John Farrell and 2 others like this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

How can you possibly be late for dinner in Spain?!?

peterba likes this.
  9. dream_police

Very true!

Just got back. Well that was a good meal. I'm as full as a frog now. The paella for two, bread and ali-oli, 2 large beers, 2 glasses of rioja, 2 small bottles of fizzy water and 1 coffee. €39. Really cannot complain. The owner (I think) clearly loves what he does.

They are still quite strict on mask wearing here too. Masks still needed when entering bars and restaurants and only taken off when seated. Leave the table to use the loo, masks are put on.

10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Dug out a couple of sweet chilli chicken breast steaks that have been in freezer for a while before I went to work so they were defrosted when I got in chopped them up and made a stir fry with some vegetable rice, baby corn and mushrooms, drizzled of course with sweet chilli sauce , very nice and I got an enormous punnet of raspberries reduced to clear for 40p and another of strawberries for 40p so I had some of those to follow and the rest will be chucked in the smoothie maker for breakfast

Learning and WillieJ like this.
  11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I don't know about England but that's exactly how it is here in Scotland - unless seated mask should be worn. Not enforced though.

12. dream_police

In England masks have been optional for a while and getting less and less common. It was enforced here tonight on some folk coming in. Masks are very common here and have to be worn in shops etc but not outdoors as long as social distancing is possible which in the vast majority of places, is.

Learning likes this.
  13. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

In England, it's mandatory to cough into the faces of others, to ensure maximum spread - to assist with the government's 'herd immunity' :rolleyes: approach. :(

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm admittedly not great at word play but I think 'herd immunity' is an anagram for 'callous Tory cuts'. Autocorrect may have butchered that.

peterba likes this.
  15. dream_police

It did. It missed an “n” out.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Oh, where from?

peterba and dream_police like this.
  17. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

From this thread. ;)

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Bugger.

peterba likes this.
  19. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The same here in New Zealand.

Zou likes this.
  20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am concerned about waning protection from vaccine but was never convinced that only two doses were adequate for us oldies. Generally I behave normally but have not yet ventured on public transport. I am glad that most children are in school during school hours. Hopefully I will soon get a third dose of vaccine. A couple of weeks after that I will just take my chance and go back to normal. We have to be exposed to the live virus, preferably undamaged.