1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Tonight (and tomorrow) will be a topside steak casserole - I put in a carrot, an onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, salt, and a dash of Worcestershire Sauce, topped up with vegetable water, if I have it, otherwise tap water. Since we're running the oven, we'll have baked potatoes, and carrot, as well.

2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Verdict - success!

I could have sautéed the chicken a little longer, as it turned out very slightly drier than I like, but other than that it was a perfect crockpot stew. The veg was well cooked and not falling apart, and the potatoes well cooked but not falling apart.

Next week's experiment will be a pork kebab stew, which will probably take an hour longer. We will see.

3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Lincolnshire sausages in tiger bread bloomer with BBQ sauce, cheese, mushrooms and onions

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

How do you get your five a day Lesley?

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Chicken salad sandwich.

6. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Probably the same way I do - juniper, slice of lemon, bark of the Cinchona tree, followed by hops and malt. :D

WillieJ, AndyTake2, Learning and 2 others like this.
  7. LesleySM

Well for a start this thread is "What did you have for dinner?" not breakfast/lunch etc. I start the day with a smoothie today I did mango lassi and I had a couple of satsumas whilst at work
    I often mention eating raspberries, strawberries, grapes etc after dinner
    Only the other day I mentioned my dinner was that vegan thing I really like made from butternut squash. I often do a tray bake with sausages and various roasted veggies or even just roasted veggies.
    And when I say I had onions and mushrooms with my sausage sandwich I mean a LOT of mushrooms and onions
    Tonight I had rice stuffed red peppers with a little salad on the side
    Even when I have the now infamous frankfurters I usually have them with new potatoes, mushrooms, sweet corn and any other leftover veggies

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ribeye steak, wedges, syrah.

John Farrell likes this.
  9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Katsu beef noodle chinese veg type thingy. Quite nice.
    Just stir fried the veg, set aside, more hot oil and add the strips of beef (sirloin, skinny bits from waitrose), spring onions and extra ginger, then bung the veg back in and the noodles, bit of chicken stock and the katsu sauce. Then just added a few bits like chilli flakes, soy, sesame oil.

10. LesleySM

I got some minted lamb kebabs reduced to clear from the Co-Op so I had those with roasted mushrooms loaded into pita bread with chopped cucumber, red onion and red pepper mixed together with a garlic and herb mayo and beer battered onion rings on the side

11. LesleySM

Got a large roast chicken and gravy pie reduced to clear from the Co-Op, having half of it with mashed potatoes, broccoli, sweet corn and peas

12. John Farrell

Tonight (and tomorrow night) will be chicken pie - made with chopped mushrooms fried in butter, the diced remains of last night's roast chicken, and the leftover gravy.

13. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Venison and celeriac curry with rice, remains of last night's potatoes fried and the remains of last night's salad (not fried, just because I am Scottish does not mean I am a cliche).:)

Zou likes this.
  14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I made a sort of pesto out of broad beans and basil served with orecchietta pasta and watercress. I saw it in The Guardian and very nice it was too. Im not really a fan of pesto as it can be too strong but this was very light as it was mainly the broad beans.

WillieJ, ascu75 and Zou like this.
  15. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes followed by a cream scone

16. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I like Broad beans I peel the skin off a few then eat the skin and then the beans separately #weirdo o_O

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Shelling 450g of them for the dish was a real PITA

18. John Farrell

I haven't had broad beans in years. Back in the 70s when I bought my first house, the previous owners had planted a garden before the sale - it was all broad beans. As a frugal person, I insisted we had to eat them. My wife has disliked them ever since.

19. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Well not dinner but breakfast. I have had a mixture of meusli, Greek yoghurt and home grown apricots. Delecious

Zou likes this.
  20. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Sounds delicious :)

RogerMac likes this.