1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

One of those things I have seen in the Asian supermarket but never bought or indeed ever used.

2. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

One of my least favourite jobs when I was working in flavour production was cooking up gum asafoetida in groundnut oil to go into a steak flavour. Vile stuff.

3. dream_police

Until I googled it earlier, I didn't even know what it was like. Fetid garlic was a description I read. Didn't really sell it to me!

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'd never even heard of it. -25 hipster points. :(

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yep, fetid garlic is pretty close. Add to that a consistency like putty and it really is vile.
    I first came across it in the occult nonsense of Dennis Wheatley as something to ward off demonic powers.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If there is enough asafoetida to tell what it is, then there is too much. Used in tiny quantity it just gives a bit of 'edge' to cumin and fenugreek. It is usually supplied as a 10% mixture in rice flour and turmeric.
    I can well believe that

7. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Prawn salad followed by an individual trifle out of a cold cabinet somewhere ;) jolly nice twas

8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Baked a baguette, put half a large rump steak in it that was fried with mushrooms and onions and added BBQ sauce, very nice if a bit messy

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Zou likes this.
  9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I had a quick google - came across some stuff which would put anyone off: "One myth claims that asafoetida developed from the semen of a god of fertility when it soaked into the earth"
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3459456/

10. dream_police

So not just fetid garlic but old fetid earthy spunk too. Nice

AndyTake2 likes this.
  11. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Reminds me of why Marks & Spencer went down in my estimation. Sometime early this century they introduced the excellent No Mayo range of sandwiches. This seems to have been abandoned. Not long before the pandemic I was in one of their food only shops and one of the staff must have spotted I was getting annoyed looking for something I couldn't find. I explained I simply wanted a sandwich without mayonnaise.

"What's wrong with mayonnaise?" he asked. As I replied, mostly the fact that it's the devil's jizz.

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Delicious Co-op best ciabatta baton, with cream cheese, redcurrent jelly, smoked salmon, sliced boiled egg and baby spinach.
    It was really nice and recommended! All drizzled with a capful of olive oil and washed down with a glass of Chenin blanc.

Learning likes this.
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Here we are both exhausted and lazy so it was pizza for me and burger and chips for she tonight. From the chippy. Lubricated with Argentinian Syrah.

John Farrell, Learning and Catriona like this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Since I couldn't eat a whole one, tomorrow's dinner will be the other half of that baton!

John Farrell likes this.
  15. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Floured haddodk fried in a mix of olive oil and butter with new potato/peas/cucumber/cherry tomato/olive salad with a mix of light mayonaisse and lemon juice (from a bottle).
    I sprinkled some salt on the flour before dousing and got some grief for that (quite rightly we do not usually use the stuff and my sprinkling was a bit lumpy) apart from that it got 5 stars. The friday morning fish van is definately worth Maggy getting up in time for.:)
    My new favourite mug says:
    I don't like morning people,
    or mornings,
    or people.

Catriona, John Farrell and Learning like this.
  16. Learning

Steak and trimmings but no chips. That's boring.
    Instead of chips I did a sort of bubble and squeak that didn't squeak. This was a mixed buttery mash of Maris Piper spuds and celeriac. To that I added coarsely chopped onions and finely cut jalapeno which I'd fried in oil. Fried and folded and fried and folded a few times. It was successful. The lack of squeak was probably caused by the lack of drying soggy greens. I did add a small amount of salt and white pepper but they were very much a matter of taste.

WillieJ and Zou like this.
  17. Learning

You could take it in turns to get up early for the Friday fish van.

18. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Burn him he is a heretic!

19. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Cheese and ham toastie with a salted caramel cheesecake and raspberries to follow- too hot for a big meal got the rest of the raspberries if I get peckish later

20. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Dinner last night was gurnard, dipped in egg and breadcrumbs and fried, with boiled agria potatoes, and beans - washed down with a very pleasant Selaks Pinot Gris.

WillieJ likes this.