1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Got to be tinned - the juices can mix with the runny egg yolk, to be mopped up with a bit of bread. Mmmm...:)

MJB likes this.
  2. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I made a casserole with chicken breast, potatoes, yams, green peppers,
    onions,celery, and broccoli simmered in spicy butter-chicken sauce.
    I have leftovers now for a few days.

spinno likes this.
  3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I hate tinned tomatoes

4. LesleySM

I'm having the best dinner in ages! (veggie stew can wait)

My mouse packed up last night annoying as I hadn't had it long but since a mouse is rather essential to using a PC I ordered a new one on click and collect from PC World and it was ready for collection today so I went down to get it and as they have an ASDA next door I popped in there for some of their excellent lamb quarter pounders and then I noticed they had a Polish section. Dare I get my hopes up? I have been so disappointed every time but this time....

They had pierogi! And the mince stuffed ones as well!

So I am having pierogi with frankfurters, mushrooms and sweet corn topped with grated Red :Leicester and garlic puree

Bloody lovely!

Learning likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

We had karaage chicken with rice, miso and a cooked spinach salad thing.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Chippy tea

Catriona likes this.
  7. LesleySM

Veggie stew it did originally have diced steak in it but that was eaten still after 3.5 days in a slow cooker it's really nice, just threw in a few finely sliced carrots and some more mushrooms

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Omelette, edamame and hash browns. Followed by some melon and the most pineapply pineapple you could imagine.

Catriona likes this.
  9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Sarah is making some Italian dish tonight with aubergines. Can't say I'm really looking forward to it. I have made some French bread style baguettes to go with it though. I couldn't resist cutting a chunk off the end of one to try. Perhaps a little less cooking next time, but not bad though.

French bread.jpg

10. dream_police

Well the bread was good. The sauce made with njuda was good but the aubergines were bloody awful. She knows i'm not keen on them, but she thought it would be a change to have them. Bread and sauce with mozzarella was my dinner!

Catriona likes this.
  11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

This talk of aubergines has me wanting a nice melanzane parmigiana...

Tonight was due to be pork with sage/apricots but by the time we got back from the shops it was too late to get that going, so pulled a couple of frozen pizzas out of the freezer instead. Pork tomorrow.

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm so not keen on aubergines either. I used to use them in a moussaka but although hubby was happy with it, I would have preferred sliced potato!

13. dream_police

I can cope with them sliced like that, likewise in babaganush (sp) but these were cut in half and cooked. Just how I don’t like them!

Catriona likes this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

They really benefit from thorough soak/rinse before use.

Catriona likes this.
  15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Well done. That's barbecuing beyond duty.
    I'm soft and had a modified winter Gressingham Duck recipe today.
    Basically the Duck au vin recipe with different veg.
    I use recipes as starting points and modify them to use what I like and have. My Gressingham Duck au Vin did not include carrot (which is far too sweet in that mixture) but did include celeriac, aubergine, sweet pepper, and courgette. The rest was as on the website. The red wine was not very French either. Baron De Ley Rioja. It worked well. Half a bottle into the cooking (with half of that left in the casserole for tomorrow) , and all but a smidgeon of the other half in me. I am just finishing that as I type.

16. Learning

You are giving me ideas for breakfast. I do sometimes cook more than enough waxy spuds for dinner and slice fry the remainder with my morning bacon'n eggs the following morning.

LesleySM likes this.
  17. Learning

I used to consider aubergines bland, and have even written that on this website. However, quite recently, I have begun to appreciate them, especially in the company of onions and garlic, plus salt and peppers.
    My late father hated onions and garlic, yet at a grand old age suddenly found that he liked garlic bread with his very conservative Heinz tomato soup. Perhaps a few chopped basil leaves in the soup helped. Whatever, he enjoyed them, and I now enjoy my aubergines:)

Zou likes this.
  18. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Dinner tonight was a couple of lamb chops with herbs, sauteed garlic mushrooms, grilled tomato and mash.

Learning likes this.
  19. Learning

Even better with some thing green for garnish, and something red from Bordeaux.

20. Simon Leung

Simon Leung Well-Known Member

2 Calzones and a cup of green tea, at a local coffee shop.

Zou likes this.