1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Just got some potato dauphinois cooking in the oven. Will have stuffed chicken thighs and sprouting cauliflower to go with it.

Learning likes this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That leftover pork stock is about to become a miso tonkotsu noodle soup. Very much looking forward to this one.

Learning likes this.
  3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I don't even pretend to own a cat. All but a few pampered cats are feral and have many loving 'owners'. But if I did, then any gift of Camembert, I would offer to the cat.
    I would not buy Camembert.
    Please note that although I do not like Camembert I honour it with capitalisation. It is a fine cheese if one likes that sort of thing. Capitalisation also avoids scolding by my spelling checker.:).

4. Learning

I visited the supermarket today, the first time in store for months. There was lots of stuff that never appeared on the on line menu.
    Amongst the things that I bought were two large pieces of very lightly smoked trout. Two for £7 and total weight nearly half a kilo. This was a bit like the lightly smoked farmed salmon which is intended for cooking. One piece is in the freezer, and one piece, minus the skin, is inside me. The flesh was excellent but the browned and crisped skin was not edible for a refined pallet. The meal was never the less very pleasing. About half a bottle of New Zealand 'grapefruit juice' accompanied it.

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Depends I've had some good gnocchi and some bad

6. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Same.

Stuff I had the other day though was vile.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pork shougayaki with daikon, miso etc. and the obligatory salad.

8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Being lazy tonight, chucked some hoisin flavoured chicken strips in the halogen oven it was a rather large pack so just topped them with BBQ sauce and am picking at them as I type this, very nice and if I don't eat them all then I'll just use the rest tomorrow for lunch cold

9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Couple of Cumberland soss in a bun.

10. Steve Hayto

Steve Hayto Well-Known Member

whatever it was I concocted tonight probably hasn't got a name

John Farrell likes this.
  11. Learning

Do you ever eat vegetables?

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I am never ever, no never going to eat those Co-op vegetable pakoras again.
    Never.

13. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Heather did a Stir fry from bits from the fridge with a black bean sauce found in the cupboard and veg from the veg box. Then she peeled me an apple. But at lunchtime we had a dressed crab and come cockles courtesy of our vicar. He socially distanced at the front door for a chat :)

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Last night was pay day take away. We decided to try a place in town we'd never been to before, based on the recommendations of a colleague. I've been spoiled for Indian takeaway after having the single most delicious fish curry at Mother India's Cafe in Glasgow a few years back and honestly nothing has compared since but this was pretty decent. We had marinated lamb and haggis pakoras, a vegetable pasanda, lamb rogan josh, and vegetable pardesi. We ordered via Just Eat to collect and on collection were told that if we'd ordered through their own App we'd have had a better discount deal so they threw in a bag of poppadoms and some spicy onions. It was all very good. However I am looking at their menu again this morning and next time I want to try their 'Kick Ass Kebab' just so I can say I did.

Zou and MJB like this.
  15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed your meal. I find one of the "Just Eat" adverts totally loathsome, and it really puts me off trying the service.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Their Edinburgh restaurant is one of the few places we miss going to since we moved. Never had anything other than great food there.

Geren likes this.
  17. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Our local pizza shop is also a Just Eat. The guvnor there told us he has to give 20% of the value of the order to Just Eat, but if we order through their own website, he will knock off 10% from the order.

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Wow! No wonder they were pointing us towards their own app. I do wonder if just Eat etc will continue to be a thing actually. So many of the local takeaways that used to be a cash only business have adopted their own apps to stay afloat. If they can do that and beat the just Eat tariff I can’t see them sticking with it. Maybe in big cities where there is a mass of choice for the consumer but wouldn’t seem to make sense in a small town like is.

19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Chicken and mushroom ragu with rice and a herby side salad.

Zou likes this.
  20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Steak night. With daikon oroshi and roast tatties. Best of both worlds.

Oh, and some cab sauv too.