1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I'm reminded of the time Dave and me were sitting in "Gig's" (ace chippy and Greek restaurant now just 2 minutes from where I work) and they used to put a small selection of nibbles on the table for you to pick up whilst considering the menu.
    Dave popped something into his mouth that turned out to be a pickled red chilli- the first I knew of it was when he started gasping and went bright red! Next thing he's grabbed the jug of water on the table and knocked it back (I did say "What if that was a vase?" and his reply when he could speak was "I'd have just taken the flowers out!") He reckoned the hair in his nose combusted!

John Farrell likes this.
  2. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Circa 1985 I regularly visited Hughes Aircraft in Tucson. The hotel bar had bowls of pickled Jalapenos on the bar where we might expect peanuts. A colleague used to eat them like peanuts. He died about a year later of stomach cancer. I always wonder if the two were connected.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I hope not. I grow and eat jalapenos. I also grow and eat those super hot small yellow Peruvian lemon drop chillis. I do not eat the latter whole and raw!

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

An absolutely spot on spaghetti con aglio, olio e peperoncino. With some strips of chicken too. Accompanied with Pecorino wine.

dream_police likes this.
  5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I made a chilli. It was slow cooked for 3 hours using chunks of beef brisket and pork shoulder, chipotle and ancho chillies. The meat shredded at the end. Served with tortilla chips.
    It will be made into burritos tonight with rice, retried beans, cheese and sour cream.

Zou likes this.
  6. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Could you not reach a verdict the first time round?

WillieJ, dream_police and Catriona like this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Nah! They just look like they've been around the block once already. ;)

Tried them once, didn't try them again. Ha!

Zou and dream_police like this.
  8. dream_police

They don’t look best ever. I couldn’t have much of them, but in burritos, with all of the other stuff, they work quite well.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

I was OK with them in Mexico. At home, it wasn't quite the same.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The one time I tried them, it's fair to say I experienced them twice... :oops::eek:

Catriona, John Farrell and MJB like this.
  11. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Fried gurnard, with boiled Jersey Benne new potatoes, and lettuce and tomato salad. We washed it down with a bottle of Mission Estate Sauvignon Blanc, given to us by our daughter for Christmas. Mission Estate is New Zealand's oldest winery, started in 1851 by French Marist missionaries.

Catriona likes this.
  12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I spent a rather miserable day in hospital whilst they finished off an ok under general anaesthetic that had proved too big for a local. Wife and son spent the day discussing what will be both light and tasty for me. Finally selected a delicious vegetable curry and a nice bottle of wine. Very successful!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Catriona likes this.
  13. dream_police

Hope you feel better soon, Roger, although curry and wine is a combination that I'd never have.

14. Catriona

Would you believe that here, they use gurnard as bait fish. They looked askance at me saying it is delicious! Same went for me saying 'rock salmon' (dog fish) was good too especially at the fish and chip shop - another one they threw back in the ocean.

John Farrell likes this.
  15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Until some poncy London chef decided to scam his customers Bass was considered only worthy as crab bait.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Actually, with all the whingeing by the fishing fleets at the moment, I am reminded that Londoners at one time got sick of eating oysters regularly in their diets. Now they are saying we won't eat their lobsters, crayfish and prawns. Oh I think we would if you were not after the big profits. People over here wouldn't eat them, as a rule, because they were 'poor food' when the older ones were young. Times change.

17. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

The day Dave's mum and dad were coming the visit....
    I had an evening class the night before and had stayed at my parents so I headed home early on the day (this was the first time I would meet them) came in opened the bedroom door and was very glad I did not have a lit cigarette in the hand.
    Dave had eaten a whole tin of refried beans the night before and gone to bed with the bedroom door shut!
    Let us just say I have many memories of Dave but few quite as pungent

John Farrell and Zou like this.
  18. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Back in the day, Boston enacted a law limiting the number of days a week owners could feed their slaves lobster.

Catriona likes this.
  19. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Our gurnard is a different species from yours - the settlers here used familiar names for fish that looked similar to the ones they knew.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

Has it got an ugly big mouth and spines?

John Farrell likes this.