1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I think my mum must have cooked it for 50 mins.
    Duck is something I have never really cooked at home but have eaten in restaurants, but not that often, and certainly not since my mums!

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of duck either (keyboard/Freudian slip initially!). The most disappointing though was goose. I'm sure it can be good but I've found it tough and not particularly blessed with flavour.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I do agree about goose! Though when my mum cooked it for us when I was a child, it was juicy and tasty. I never managed the same and ended up like yours - tough and not a lot of it to eat! The only good thing was the fat rendered out of it.

Zou likes this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Steak and chips plus salad and last of the red wine in the house. The only booze we currently have is the (seemingly bottomless) angostura bitters and maybe 1/6 of a bottle of cask strength whisky. Shocking.

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You did not cook your goose for long enough.
    Duck is a bird of two halves. You can try to roast it whole, and some very good cooks can do so with quite good results. I prefer to joint it or buy it jointed.
    The legs cook by several means in about 90mins. The breasts fly through the oven in less than 20min. If you buy a whole bird and joint it then you are in for a treat. Roast the carcase alongside the legs. Then either freeze until you have time to deal with it or immediately simmer to make a wonderful stock. The stock from one bird makes the gravy for the next. My suggestions refer to the domesticated Gressingham duck. It is very, very good.
    Wild duck is usually mallard. It tastes good; there isn't much meat on them; the quality and age is variable. You can pretend to live naturally, but a culinary treat it is not. Other wild ducks are available but are best left to live out their natural lives unless you are starving.
    This evening I ate roast sirloin of beef with the usual trimmings. It was good. There is enough left over for at least two more meals. I limited my table wine intake to about 25cl.

AndyTake2, John Farrell and Zou like this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The breast was probably overdone and the legs almost raw..

7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

You, sir, are describing a level of hell so frightening that Dante dared not write of it his 'Inferno'.

Zou likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

:D

9. dream_police

We are having slow roasted pork belly again. We will be having browned butter mashed spuds, roasted fennel and spiced red cabbage.

Zou likes this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Got room at the table for your pal Zoe?

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Don't you want to go?

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Too far.

spinno likes this.
  13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Nowhere is too far for a hot meal. Besides after Thursday you won't be allowed to cross the border

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

1. I have a hot meal in prep
    2. Why would I want to cross the border?
    3. I'm already not allowed (live in tier 3 area so cannot travel to/via tier 2)

spinno likes this.
  15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Poor Nige, I feel you've really offended him...begging for a meal and then coming up with cockamaney excuses...some friend:rolleyes:;)
    Actually I'm in tier 3 so you have my sympathy.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I wasn't begging. He started something with Zoe so I thought it would be a nice opportunity for them to catch up.

spinno likes this.
  17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Does Mrs Nige know?:eek:

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You'd have to ask him. I think it's platonic but he's an odd one at times.

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Yes, it's all that horse play.

John Farrell and Zou like this.
  20. dream_police

Sorry, I have only just caught up with this. Platonic? You bitch. You said you loved me!

Catriona likes this.