1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I haven't tried Wagyu burgers yet I am going to plead complete ignorance and ask are they worth the difference in price compared to a good Aberdeen Angus burger?

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Roast pork with baby potatoes, carrots and broccoli, and of course pork crackling. Cider to drink. Followed by my staple of a corner style yoghurt, & freshly ground Italian coffee. Then got back to scanning home processed E6 slides from 2001 & 2000. Later I watched "24 Hours in A & E" - yet another motor cyclist seriously injuring herself.

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

No idea, but they were reduced to less than I'd expect to pay for Morrisons best burgers.
    TBH I wouldn't have bought them at full price.

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Probably not. Unless you suddenly start shopping at Fortnum & Mason's, it's unlikely to be traditionally reared Japanese Wagyu beef. In fact it's most likely Wangus (Wagyu x Angus) and the supermarkets are hitching a ride on the traditional stuff's reputation.

Zou likes this.
  5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have eaten the Wagyu burgers from Waitrose and Aldi. Can't tell the difference between them and other decent burgers. I have had Wagyu steaks from Aldi. They were nothing worth getting excited about.
    I have been fortunate to have a wagyu steak in a restaurant once. You could tell the difference there. It was very nice, incredibly tender. The price also reflected that.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I can imagine the attractiveness of it being exceedingly tender if you have false teeth; I do not. I like the texture of most sirloin and ribeye just as much as I enjoy the flavour. On the rare occasions that I eat fillet then someone else has paid for it and quite frankly they wasted their money on a food philistine like me. As for wrapping it in pastry and calling it Beef Wellington ... . English cooks add mushrooms. Haven't they heard of truffles?

7. dream_police

I have all of my own teeth, I can chew and eat solids, however a melt in your mouth steak was lovely. It was one of those meals where we ate in small bites to savour the taste and make it last longer.

Learning likes this.
  8. Learning

I accept that you have your superior taste.Lets just agree to disagree.on the matter of foods that melt in the mouth. You love them; I hate them.
    There is one exception for me. Bitter melt in the mouth chocolate. The flavour overrides the texture.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Miso pork on rice, with more miso in the form of soup with tofu and mushrooms.

10. dream_police

Not superior at all. Different to yours.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Waiting for pasta to cook, then it's sausages and butternut squash to mix in with it.

12. dream_police

I have roasted cauliflower and broccoli in the oven, topped with creme fraiche and goats cheese and a crumble made from hazelnuts, oats and panko breadcrumbs. Another new dish for us.

Geren and Catriona like this.
  13. Learning

We really do have different tastes!! How can you roast cauliflower? Never the less I hope that you enjoyed it. And wot's all this about panko breadcrumbs. Come on; breadcrumbs are just breadcrumbs. You blitz the elderly end of a loaf and you have breadcrumbs.Do you import panko breadcrumbs from half way around the world?

14. dream_police

The cauliflower and broccoli was roasted in oil, salt, pepper and garlic in a hot oven for 15 mins. So it is softened and charred in places. Roasted cauliflower and broccoli is very nice. We often do it with roasts. The creme fraiche and crumbled goats cheese was then added and topped with the crumble and cooked for a further 45 mins.
    There is a difference between panko and normal breadcrumbs apparently, one of which is it isn't crust and doesn't absorb fat like normal and presumably remains crispier. The crumble was nice and crispy. The hazelnut really worked well. I do not have any stale bread in to make my own anyway. I dare say the panko was made in the UK. It is a style of breadcrumb.
    It was a very nice dish.

John Farrell and Learning like this.
  15. Learning

You sometimes take me too seriously. The garlic of course makes all the difference. I like garlic.
    I still think that panko crumbs are a bit Sunday supplement food.

16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

They have merit. Crunchy and don't absorb too much oil.

Zou likes this.
  17. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Roast beef chips and gravy and it was delicious :)

John Farrell, AndyTake2 and Zou like this.
  18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Chicken fajitas.

This is making me hungry!

19. dream_police

IMG_0194.jpg

It is quite a dry dish, not like a cauli cheese. Just because of the size of the items, I used more a bit more cheese and creme fraiche and a touch more of the crumble ingredients.

It is from a cook book called The Roasting Tin by Rukmini Iyer. It has given us some nice meals.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Geren and Catriona like this.
  20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Thank you. I could add that to my menu plan for next week. I have a freezer full of breadcrumbs and was going to do cheese herby chicken in breadcrumbs for the meat eaters. This can be the veggie option and we will have something like an onion gravy to wet things up a bit. Or else the kids will pour ketchup all over it.

ascu75 likes this.