1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Japanese style veg curry with rice.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

THe brisket I cooked yesterday, sliced thinly. It was very yum. Think I must have needed B12!

Time for porrisge in the morning again. Been cold today.

Zou likes this.
  3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Saveloys with pease pudding which I rather spiced up a bit by adding curry powder, red chiili flakes and garlic and mixed a large finely chopped onion in, followed by a tub of creme caramel

Well stuffed

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Ah, yes! Dinner yesterday was a most memorable and exotic feast.

I'd had some lobsters sent up from the coast, but when they arrived they were dead. One simply should never put a dead lobster into the pot, so I threw them out. However, having time on my hands, I decided a Beef Wellington would hit the spot. I had an excellent filet in the fridge ready, some newly purchased pâté, and I made the pastry up quite quickly, and popped it in the oven. Unfortunately, when I opened the oven to check on its progress, the smell of garlic arising from the pâté was overwhelming. I wanted Beef Wellington, not Boeuf à la Napoleon, so I threw it out. Not one to be stuck, however, I then went to check the state of the birds hanging in the game larder, but sadly the bodies had not yet pulled off the neck and dropped, so they were definitely not ready to be consumed yet.

But I was not yet bereft of ideas. I recalled a dish on the menu at Maxime's in New York - it might have been Maxime's in Paris, I can't quite recall, but no matter. Although I did not order it then, it sounded like something that would stretch my skills in the culinary arts, so with a combination of bribery and blackmail I was able to force the recipe from the chef. My decision made, I set about the complex task of preparing my evening meal.

Heinz sur le pain grillé au beurre (or … beans on toast).

Yes, my already dubious sanity is definitely being taxed by present circumstances. :D

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Perhaps it was just as well!

I enjoyed my brisket, but had indigestion all night!

6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

There's always recipes for old boots and mud in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather:p

John Farrell likes this.
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Pork belly, mash, broccoli and peas. The pork is cured in salt and golden caster sugar in the fridge for 2 hours, washed then roasted for 3 hours in a pan with chicken stock. The crackling was just as it should be and the gravy made from the pan was excellent. All in all a really nice dinner.

MJB and Catriona like this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Spooky. We had pretty much he same minus the sugar and cider instead of chicken stock.

dream_police likes this.
  9. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

And even spookier as we had pork belly, roasties and broccoli.

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Butcher's faggots in onion gravy, served with bubble & squeak made with leftover veg from last night.

LesleySM, spinno and Catriona like this.
  11. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Oh no!
    IMG_4636.JPG

Learning, MJB and Zou like this.
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

John Farrell likes this.
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

We had several things last night - rice with sweet potato, fried tofu, and a kind of onion and carrot tenpura thing.

John Farrell likes this.
  14. Castrait

Castrait New Member

Just pan fried salmon and oven chips with a mini bottle of grown up grapefruit juice

15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Just did a couple of big jacket spuds with butter, grated and melted mature cheddar and red Leicester on top- I enjoyed it washed down with a beer

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Leek and black olive pasta.

17. dream_police

Not sure what we are having tonight. Sarah is cooking. Apparently it is something that is not quite, but a sort of, coq au vin. Anyone’s guess!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I had some grown up grapefruit juice today with my fishy meal. I am not allowed real grapefruit juice because of my statin medication.This evening's grown up grapefruit juice was a modest Marlborough offering. Guiltily I have to admit that it was not a mini bottle, and there is nothing left for tomorrow..
    I had a fillet of very lightly smoked salmon, the sort so lightly smoked that it has to be cooked. This was accompanied with a variant of ratatouille and halved small potatoes and fennel. I finished the halved spuds in the pan juices from the fish and ratatouille.

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That could be a disaster or a triumph. I hope the latter. Text book recipes are boring although the true classics are reliable. I often modify traditional dishes depending on what ingredients are to hand. Also I don't care a d about cultural appropriation. If, say for excample, a far eastern ingredient, might replace a European ingredient in a French classic like coq au vin, so be it.

20. dream_police

It was very nice indeed. Her description was right. It was like it but wasn’t. Certainly have it again.

Learning likes this.