1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

We went to my mum's for dinner, roast lamb, mash and veg. She had bought bramley apples and had intended to make an apple crumble but she forgot, so a first for me. We had mince pies and ice cream. Mince pies in September!

Zou and Learning like this.
  2. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

The remains of last nights Chinese simmered in the pan with a little water, Cornish sea salt, black pepper, red chilli flakes , garlic powder and chow mein stir fry sauce (would have added dark soy sauce but cannot get the lid off!) very nice if a tad on the hot side so being washed down with a cold beer

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I never make mince pies but buy them in. If the local shop had mince pies on offer in June then I would buy some. I haven't seen any this year. Mince pies, raspberries and ice cream would tempt me at any time of year.

4. dream_police

Hers were bought from M&S yesterday.

5. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Last night - roast chicken with baked vegetables. Tonight, a pie made with the leftover chicken - mushrooms fried in butter, with the chopped leftover chicken and the remains of the gravy making up the pie filling.

spinno and Zou like this.
  6. Learning

I ate about a quarter of what I cooked. It was good. I needed a lot of self discipline not to eat more.
    I made one of my ad hoc variations of mince.
    First thing was to collect a generous amount of rosemary, thyme and bay from the garden (Window boxes are available for flat dwellers.). Rough chop it and add it to about a third of a bottle of drinkable but not posh Cote du Rhone, bring it all to the boil,add several whole cloves of garlic and then leave it to infuse. Not only is this a great flavoursome addition to the food it also limits the amount of wine that I drink.
    I fried finely chopped onions with white pepper and put them aside in a container that would later be used for storage. Then I fried the mince in a tiny amount of cooking oil; the mince itself provided more oil. Unusually for me I added chunks of courgettes which I had accidentally bought on two separate occasions to excess, then returned the onions to the mix. Also removed the now soft cloves of garlic from the herb wine mixture and pressed them (Putting them with the wine and herbs does nothing to the taste; it just makes them soft enough to press easily without peeling them. Of course one swills the garlic press out in the wine herb mixture to avoid waste.) Nearly there! I added a can of chopped tomatoes, swilled the can out with strained wine herb mixture. Finished cooking with just a small slosh of dark soy sauce to add salt and umami. I would usually add tomato puree but it was not needed.
    Served with simmered small spuds, carrots, cauly, and frozen cobra beans that I had grown earlier in the summer.

Zou and John Farrell like this.
  7. Learning

Not any mince pies. They were M&S mince pies.:)

8. LesleySM

A very thick sandwich, have just found Lidl's do a poppy seed bloomer so two buttered slices around a LOT of mature cheddar, fresh red onion and cucumber

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You had right up to the cauliflower at the end. But thanks for the step by step, might try that as we have some mince in.

10. LesleySM

My Saturday night special- odds and ends of veggies that would otherwise be wasted so new potatoes, mushrooms, broccoli and onion with frozen sweetcorn and chopped frankfurters then when boiled, I melted some butter in with red chilli flakes, coarse black pepper and some garlic then grated a rather large amount of mature cheddar on top.

The plan was to have Brie and crackers for afters but I made a bit much so I have some decent crusty bread needing used up so assuming I am hungry in the morning I will have Brie and bacon sandwiches

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

A chicken roll, a boiled egg followed by stewed plums and yoghurt.
    Very tasty. Glad I still can taste them all!

12. dream_police

Will be ribeye steak (or as it is known in our house, Jewish steak), potatoes roasted with rosemary and garlic. I think I’ll make a garlic mushroom sauce too. Probably round peas as well.

Zou, Catriona and MJB like this.
  13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Shoulder of lamb cooked low & slow.

Zou, Learning and Catriona like this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Best joint!

15. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Ribeye Steak for me too!

Served simply with caramelised onion, mushroom and red pepper and salad potatoes.
    Yum:)

dream_police likes this.
  16. Learning

Depends on mood and available time for cooking.
    12 minutes roast plus a slight frying of the fat side = rack of lamb . Its bloody in the middle.
    One to one and a half hours dry roasting = leg of lamb . Its pink in the middle.
    Three hours or more pot roasting = Shoulder of lamb. Its not pink but the whole house smells deliciously of roasting lamb for hours of anticipation.
    Other cuts are good. Even the unappetising scrag end of neck cooked as a hotpot are good and fill the house with aroma.
    Chops are quick and cheerful.
    I think that the three classic roasts, rack, leg and shoulder are the best equals provided that they are cooked correctly.
    I like lamb.

Zou likes this.
  17. LesleySM

[QUOTE="Learning, post: 1653120, member: 11980" Even the unappetising scrag end of neck cooked as a hotpot are good and fill the house with aroma.
    [/QUOTE]

One of my favourite winter meals on the cheap is scrag end of mutton stewed in the slow cooker for hours

18. LesleySM

One of my favourite winter meals on the cheap is scrag end of mutton stewed in the slow cooker for hours as an Irish stew

Zou likes this.
  19. LesleySM

I was just having a couple of Aberdeen Angus quarter pounders infused with mature cheddar and caramelised onion in a sandwich (Lidl's do an amazing thick seeded bloomer) and cheese slices and mango chutney on top

So I popped the burgers in the oven then a friend phoned me and by the time I'd got her off the phone I thought it must be time to turn the burgers over so I went in the kitchen and smoke was billowing out the oven. Luckily my oven is near an open window So apart from getting a nasty burn on my tit when I took the lid off and there being clouds of smoke (and I checked my smoke alarm is still working) dinner was great

20. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Another day of slow cooker, diced chiken breast, bacon bits, mushrooms, diced onion, carrots a bit of celery, sprinkled with sage and garlic granules, tin of chicken and mushroom soup, a couple of sachets of Chicken and leek cuppa soup mixed with some boiling water, a dash of black pepper then let it gurgle away. Should do me 3 days.

Learning likes this.