1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What Did You Have For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 24, 2019.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I remember, years ago, seeing Clement Freud on a TV cooking programme making a 'chocolate' sauce for ice cream by melting Mars Bars...

Catriona and Zou like this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Never knew he had Scots blood. :cool:

SXH likes this.
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

They made banana and ham sandwiches in an episode of Back To The Corner Shop - the kids weren't keen but I reckoned they be fine. I mean people eat gammon and pineapple so why not banana?

We had a real old fashioned supper of mince and tatties. Quorn mince for the veggie. With peas, and carrots to colour it up a bit. It was 1973 all over again.

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Nothing wrong with banana as it's a herb.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

which is why the Beatles used to smoke dried banana skins

6. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Our kids, when they were little, called a meal of mashed potatoes and mince "splop".

spinno and Catriona like this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think there's something comforting about mashed potatoes. Real mashed potatoes, not that vomit chefs dish up. Lots of butter and a splash of milk or cream. Yum!

John Farrell and spinno like this.
  8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

So do I, bangers and mash is one of my favourite comfort foods

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think that sounds like dinner tonight! :)

John Farrell likes this.
  10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Retro tonight. Well pudding anyway. I am just cooking a pineapple upside down cake. We shall have that later with ambrosia custard.

John Farrell, Zou and Catriona like this.
  11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Years ago I might have liked it.:(

12. Learning

And what was 'plop'?

John Farrell likes this.
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Waiting for our pizza delivery, to be enjoyed al fresco.

Catriona likes this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

And very nice it was too.

Catriona likes this.
  15. LesleySM

Had frankfurters, Jersey Royals, leek, asparagus, sweet corn and mushrooms tossed in President butter with coarse ground black pepper and garlic puree stirred in and topped with grated extra mature cheddar

Yes I know some people on here think that's weird but it's quick and easy and tastes bloody nice! And followed by a largish slice of honeydew melon probably is my 5 a day

John Farrell likes this.
  16. LesleySM

I had chips! The decent chippy in Stratford has reopened and the smell lured me in so I had a big bag of chips, they've been shut for ages so it was a bonus! Later on I may have some President brie on crackers or something light and I still have half a melon to use up so that sounds fine to me as it is , too hot too cook here so Brie, crackers and melon for afters sounds good to me

John Farrell and Zou like this.
  17. Learning

I only tell you what I had when it was good. This was good. Two small fillets of farmed sea bass. One fillet would be good for a starter; two for a main. Spuds, cauliflower, carrots and mangetout. All lubricated with Macon Villages. Sadly no asparagus. Disgracefully our retailers are not getting the best product into the shops. I looked at our local Keyworth Coop's offering yesterday.Thin spindly stuff from god or devil knows where. Last week Morrisons had the best English asparagus. I took advantage of a 'twofor' deal. Don't be offended Kate, the Scottish asparagus is just as good; it extends the UK season so we all can enjoy it well into June. I did not notice where the mangetout came from when I bought it. I don't mind buying out of season imported mangetout, sugar snap peas and beans from the commonwealth. These came from China. What are the Coop thinking of?

18. Learning

Well I suppose that the source of Brie is more local to you than the best of English cheeses. Enjoy.:)

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Something like pisto and rice.

20. Learning

pisto or pesto?