1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What camera?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by KierFX, Jan 22, 2016.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi nimbus, think the trick is to learn to read the descriptions. You will find sellers who know what they are selling and make an effort to describe it properly. I've come across a few when 'window shopping' who know they don't know and are at pains to point out the fact, often choosing to deliberately list the item as 'not working' or 'for spares & repair'. If Kier is still looking for a film camera to replace the EOS600 & reading this, then they would probably be the type of seller to go for.

Then there are the house clearance & cash conversion businesses. I bought an Olympus lens from a branch of the most famous of the latter type. They didn't really know about what they were selling, had missed that the aperture diaphragm was oiled and was very sticky but were very good at immediately agreeing to pay for the repair by my repairer. I ended up with a mint lens, fully CLA'd. Needless to say they got a five star feedback.

If there are lots of good photos or an attempt to post lots of good photos but obviously done on a phone camera then that may be a clue to a favourable transaction. You might want to take a risk on a low value item if it's sold by a Charity Shop. Doesn't work when you get it? Write-off. You made a donation and got nothing in return! You can always try to sell it on eBay with an accurate description of 'for spares & repair'.

As ever, it's 'Buyer beware'. Cheers, Oly

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was bidding on a Praktica BC1 and 50mm f2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena lens the other day, gave up when it got to over £150. Ebay bidding gone mad? No, I still think the buyer got a bargain. Why? Because the 50mm f2.8 CZJ lens in Praktica Bayonet fitting doesn't exist in the wild, there are only a handful of prototypes known. It's just a Tessar - but a very rare one. The other side of a seller not knowing what they're selling...

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Indeed, but the bargains can be the badly photographed item with little description as it can deter buyers. One lens I bought for £17, normally at the time made £45 and more, the item was in excellent condition, a Minolta 100-300mm APO I paid less than the normal price for the non-APO version, due to lack of description and dark photos, from which I just noticed the APO lettering on the barrel. This item was like new.