1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

what bird is this

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Raythefab, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Raythefab

Raythefab Well-Known Member

i snapped this while out walking this morning anybody know what it is [​IMG]

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Looks pretty much like a Kestrel ...

3. Raythefab

oh right with the red on its back i thought it might be a kite
    thanks

4. elenydd

elenydd Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if you spotted a kite in Accrington!!!!

5. Raythefab

this is the ribble valley not accrington,the most beautiful place in this country you aint got nothin like it in taffy land,its the home of the last few pairs of HEN HARRIERS in the british isles

6. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Hen Harriers? Ive got them commin out my ears! In Ayrshire....Arran has between 20-30 pairs alone. Never mind Hen Harriers our real rarity is the nuthatch....just moved north into Ayrshire for the first time this year.

Graeme

7. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Aye Graeme but Ray did say...
    'this country' being.......?

8. Raythefab

i think your wrong there AGW there nearly axtinct the last few pairs are down here in the ribble valley

9. Raythefab

just been reading about the hen harrier ,its the scottish gamekeepers,laying poison down to protect the grouse shooting,there not safe in scotland

10. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

11. Raythefab

ok i get your point ,but what i was trying to say to AGW is this beautiful country does not include AYRSHIRE if i remember rightly that is in scotland ,the ribble valley is the only place in north of england (excluding scotland) where hen harriers are thriving.but i guess there will always be people trying to score cheap points off you OK
    just like elenydd who said you wont see a kite in accrington i ask why not ,are they middle-class-snobs

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Steady on Ray, YOU started this one by saying that all the Hen Harriers in the British Isles were in the Ribble Valley, and that Graeme was wrong to say there were any in Scotland.

Anyway, I don't know if Red Kites are middle-class snobs or not, but as I've seen one in the deep south of Warwickshire, they probably are! ;)

13. elenydd

Sorry, I thought that it was in Accrington, because that is what you have as your location

'Taffy Land' - a bit outdated, aren't you Ray?
    'got nothing like it in taffy land' - actually there are Ospreys nesting further up the Cambrian Coast

I think I have been a little mis-interpreted - when I say you would be lucky to see a kite in Accrington - I meant that Kites are very rare (although on the up over the previous years), and unlikely to be spotted in built up areas.

As for being 'middle class snobs', yes, in avian terms, they probably are, if not upper class!

14. Raythefab

ok sorry i probaly went too far there so hands up im half wrong half right Hmmm what do i know about birds anyway
    i just knew it wasnt a robin

15. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Well done Ray - it's always good to know when to stop digging.

16. Raythefab

especially when you havnt got a spade, it does your fingernails no good at all

17. TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Down here on the Somerset/Dorset/Wiltshire border you can't move for falling over Nuthatches! But sadly no Hen Harriers, although we do have plenty of Kestrels (as shown in the original photo at the start of this thread).

Terry.

18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

There's a pair of Red Kites down here in Uxbridge!

They've been moving along from High Wycombe and the all over the Ridgeway.

Really good to see them getting more of a foothold :)

19. TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Yes, they are spreading out from the Chiltern Hills where they are now quite common following a successful reintroduction programme a few years ago. Hopefully they will continue to spread west until they reach me - from time to time I do hear of tentative Red Kite sightings in my area, but I haven't seen one here myself. Many decades ago (before they were persecuted almost out of existence) Red Kites were very common scavengers in central London.

Terry.

20. elenydd

It's worth mentioning that in rural Mid Wales, specifically the Tywi and Cothi valleys near where I live, Red Kite numbers were down to just a few pairs. However, through the efforts of landowners and volunteers, a 'vigilante' style organisation against egg thieves was mounted.

Over the next hundred years, generations of landowners, rural communities and voluntary organisations in the area, specifically the RSPB and Welsh Kite Trust, worked together to safeguard the future of the Red Kite to the point where it is feasible to reintroduce them to other areas.

It is because of this that the British Trust for Ornithology, in 1999 named the Red Kite 'Bird of the Century'.

I think it is a title that is most fitting of this bird, as it soars majestically above my home day in, day out.