1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your two all-time favorite cameras?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Footloose, May 7, 2019.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Cameras I disliked? The "OM-D EM can't remember" it was that uncomfortable, would come high on my list, as would the Fuij FinePix S2 Pro (better with a modified grip but still lacking). Pentax ME Super, some good ideas but the execution wasn't up to the vision, I inherited one but my choice had been the OM System.None of them were so bad that I hated them but equally I didn't hang on to them long either.

I came to distrust the OM system, the OM1 had a weakness in the film advance mechanism, the Winders had a problem with the battery latch, the OM4 had a power issue and all the lenses had a potential problem with the stop screw (supposed to stop the lens from turning too far on mounting, if the screw fell out the lens would turn too far and damage the stop down mechanism). Great cameras but flawed, didn't stop me from using them for 10 years. If I had to go back to film I might consider OMs but only if I could have the accessories too.

2. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

What a great thread
    Canon EOS 600 35mm - Switched from manual pentax whilst at college in the early 90's. The EOS600 was just incredible. I still have the camera, though its not been used now for over 16yrs. But it was amazing.
    Then left photography for a good 10yrs. Digital arrived, so bought the tiny Sony T30 compact, still have that too! Again I was blown away by ease of use and instant pictures. I learnt that camera completely. could set all the controls without even thinking. Such Bliss

Fast forward to 2019, 5 canon dslrs (all gripped), 17 canon lenses, 8 canon flash guns, 2 domkes, a plethora of cards, batteries etc etc - Yet none of it hardly ever sees use!!
    I just make do with a lumix TZ70 and a ancient iPhone.

Moral of the story is:- Be Careful What You Wish For........Because You May Just Get It!

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I would love to still have my original kodak instamatic. It was a birthday present, presumably to stop me trying to play with my dad's more grown-up Retinette. Not that it was successful in that department. I can still remember the joy of a new pack of flash cubes.

Otherwise though I don't think I have a favourite camera - love them all!

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I haven't owned enough cameras to have any old favourites, my enjoyment of taking photographs started at a young age with a point and shoot film camera, but my favourite cameras are my current Canon 7D2 and my second hand Canon 6D (which I've hardly used).

5. Dwain Geead

Dwain Geead Member

Sony and Canon

6. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

That gives you a lot of scope......

7. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

EOS 30 and 1100d.

The 30 because it's the last SLR I had. At Canon when I bought it and had a windfall so bought 2 and everything else I could get for it that would fit in a Lowepro Magnum.
    I don't miss film but I do miss eye-focusing and 4fps.

The 1100d as that was my first dLSR and one I'll prob stick with.

(Past cams: Zenit-E, Pentax ME x2/3, Pentax MZ-5 then onto the above...)

8. John King

John King Well-Known Member

They would have to be my current Nikon F6 and from a long while ago a Nikon F2a I owned. Both tough as old boots and utterly reliable.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Favourite #1 - Zero 45 pinhole. Favourite #2, too hard to call.

I hardly use the Zero, partly because it costs c£5 per image to develop the sheet film, and anyway my tripod is knackered. Most used is my Sony NEX-3n which I do rather like, but I bought it as a functional camera, not a 'romantic' purchase as such.

10. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Canon S120 - small enough to fit in a trouser pocket yet delivers ace results,with full manual control and RAW files too.

Nikon D500 - bought used as I couldn't run to a new one but the results are amazing. Not sure that I have yet learned all the tweaks and adjustments that are possible, and I bought it around 18 months to 2 years ago.... I must try to get out more !

Learning likes this.
  11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Imho it makes more sense to buy used equipment where possible, I only buy new when I cannot find secondhand or when buying so only means a small saving. Much used gear has seen comparatively little use and will last as long as we want or need it to.

12. KironKid

KironKid Member

My Nikon FE-2 and F3.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I completely agree. I bought a D4 with a high shutter count but as I take an average of 750 images a month on it that isn't a limiting factor, the low price made it worth while.

14. dazdmc

dazdmc Active Member

My old Yashicamat 124g and my grandads Minolta HiMatic F that has been round the world

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

My two favourite cameras is a variable choice. At any time they are, or were, the cameras that I was using at the time. Presently they are a brace of D500. I also like the pocket-able Sony RX100m3 . Previous DSLR favourites were D200 and D300. A previous favourite compact was the Canon S100. I am not sentimental about old cameras.

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Perhaps the best way to be.

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I still have 3 Canon film SLRs and a developing tank. Real soon now I'm going to put film through them. Honest! :D

RogerMac likes this.
  18. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have several film SLRs, well the definition includes 7 doesn't it?;) I still have developing tanks, although I haven't used one in many years, if I shoot B&W film I use XP2, but at least I still have the option.

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The S100 I referred to is actually an S90. I dug it out for the serial number needed to download a piece of Canon software.