1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What are your two all-time favorite cameras?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Footloose, May 7, 2019.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Looking back at all the cameras you have owned, (or indeed wish you still owned) what would be - not including your newest camera - which 2 cameras would you choose above all of the others?

In my case, one would be my Olympus E-1, because ergonomically I still find in some respects, it's design layout is better than the E-M1 I currently own. Going furher back, a second-hand Leica IIIG with collapable f2 Summicron because it was a wonderfully 'tactile' camera to use.

I have said two, because if you have been using cameras as long as I have, choosing just one, is nigh-on impossible!

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Mamiya 645 1000S and Fujifilm X-E1.

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Two? No chance!!

I could give you a list of my 37 all-time favourite cameras. ;) :)

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Ensign selfix 16 20 ll with ross xpress lens. My first brand new quality camera.
    Rolleiflex 3.5 tessar 1956 my first Rolleiflex. While a photo student. (Though also had a new Rolleicord V before that)

on the short list ...Agfa solinette ll with solinar lens, my first 35mm camera.
    Minolta Autocord, my favourite wedding camera.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I always fancied a 35mm folder but by the time I could afford it things had moved on.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Rolleiflex 3.5F Xenotar and Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar.

7. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Minolta 7000, my first AF, and Minolta A200 handy digital zoom compact, I have 2, one in the car, one by the window

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Konica FS-1 and Canon 5Ds

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

First SLR, Praktica MTL5B, and Pentax K10D are my two favourites, but I've enjoyed all of my cameras, though it took a while for some to grow on me (Pentax K3)
    The Pentax Q system would be there in third place as an outfit, pleasant lenses but my favourite was the cheap as chips fish-eye

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My current 6D and my oldest - because of my associations with its first owner
    Tail2.jpg

11. peterba

Your mention of the Konica FS-1 took me back about forty years, Pete! I remember having quite a thing about that camera, but I never did get one.

Evidently, you did - and you must have been impressed.

12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Vito II, ‘cos it’s small but with a lovely lens and a Kodak No 2Autographic,, bought by Dad in about 1926 and still working.

S

peterba likes this.
  13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

At first I thought this would be easy then I thought back through all the cameras I've owned and realised I wouldn't have parted with "my favourite" cameras.

So I'll just say my favourite camera is whatever one I'm using. ;)

peterba and RogerMac like this.
  14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Mamiya M645 1000S - sold to fund a Nikonos outfit when I took a year out to sail Southampton -> Pireas.
    Rollei SL2000 Motor - worn out electronics through old age after 20 years use.

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My first camera and unexpected gift, my Dad bought it in Japan I think, just after our eldest was born. He is 40 this year so your timing is right! The built-in winder in the grip and shutter priority auto were fairly novel at the time. I managed to build a small system quite cheaply because Hexanon lenses were rare and not easily shifted s/h. Then the whole lot got stolen whuch absence made the heart fonder etc.

peterba likes this.
  16. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I still keep a minolta G600 in the car.

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The first I would choose is my Nikon FM, not the first SLR I owned but the first one I bought personally. It was simple to use, robust and reliable - all the things a good camera should be, I still have it.

Second choice is a bit trickier as it's a toss up between my EOS D30, my first ever Digital and like the FM simple to use, and my EOS 40D which has been my principal go to camera for many years - maybe not a simple as the D30 but far less complex than later offerings and ergonomically a good design. If I must be nailed down on my second choice I think it has to be the 40D...:)

18. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Now I still have an FM2 (and an FE2), more durable by far than they feel and quite like both of them, I did have an EOS 40D and I detested it!

19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Favourite SLR probably the Pentax Spotmatic but best SLR probably the Pentax MX
    Favourite compact the Olympus Trip 35.

I don't have a favourite digital camera, as the favourite is the one I'm using at the time.

peterba likes this.
  20. peterba

I was musing along the same lines, Andrew - until it occurred to me that "favourite" probably should also relate, in some way, to the period in which one was using the camera. With that thought in mind, I reckon that my time using the Fujica STX-1 (early 1980s) provided the highest value of "fun per minute".

Andrew Flannigan likes this.