1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Hotblack, Oct 24, 2010.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, there's also something about the compilation being copyright 2009 by the Estate of the late Sonia Brownell Orwell. Not to mention copyright of various photos, sketches and maps being assigned to various people.

Copyright law obviously needs a lot of detail.

2. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Doris Lessing - The Golden Notebooks. A book with housebrick dimensions!

Lynn

3. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Currently,Catriona by Robert Louis Stephenson on my Kindle,part of the complete works of RLS.
    It`s a very good read.

ascu75 and Catriona like this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

For my sins, I have joined a Photographers' Book Club. We have just finished reading Sontag's On Photography (okay, maybe they finished reading it. I skimmed it and lied a lot.) We're now on to Barthes and Camera Lucida which I actually enjoyed the first time round so will probably make the effort to re-read for this.

ascu75 likes this.
  5. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Heather and I only said yesterday about reading Dickens after all he did some of his writing at Broadstairs only a few miles from or home in Margate! I have been struggling to read a book on gardening for wildlife and Chris Evans gave me an excuse not to finish it. His rule is 'take your age from 100 and if after the resulting number in my case 36 of pages in you are not enjoying it ditch it and read something else '!
    I must say I am really missing my local library. I love reading !
    Don

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Does your library have books/magazines in electronic reader formats?

ascu75 likes this.
  7. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Yes but I cant stand online books I have a book on the kindle its been unread for about two years. Having made the decsion to go back to physical books I will never go back to mmy kindle. We reallly miss our library.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Oh well, just a thought. Our local library has perhaps a better digital offer than physical, it's tiny. Can friends/family send you books?

ascu75 likes this.
  9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

ebay is my favourite place and abebooks. Onlinne shopping has kept us going through all of this, today our son sent face masks we had a vegbox delivery and a CD arrived and now Heather has just opened a huge box of bird food and two new feeders. We usually try and support local shops but Covid has opened our eyes to a whole new expp/erience .
    Don

Zou likes this.
  10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I don't know the english title but translating from the swedish original and the german translation, which is what I'm reading:

"The hundred year old man who climbed through a window and disappeared".

It's great and, unusually for a novel not only are the places real but they have their real names to! I can follow the various moves on maps or google earth!
    For some reason I missed the film when it was released a few years ago.

Lynn

Catriona likes this.
  11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I read that ages ago and loved it. Isn't there another one by that author in the same vein?

12. Catriona

I'm reading When Red is Black by Qui Xiaolong. Third in the series. Set in China in the1990s. Post Cultural revolution and a struggle for them all adapting to the changes. A fascinating series about a poet/policeman and the political nightmares he has to work in. Not the easiest read but gives great insight into how things were/are in China and how they got to where they are now.

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

OS Explorer sheet 143. Checking where I can legally access the army ranges.

Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

What? For exercise? Or the wildlife?

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The butterflies. Since the lockdown easing my usual haunts have been overrun by people from all over, so I'm going exploring without exploding...hopefully. It's literally a mile from home and we're skirting the danger area.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Just reading the latest/last? book by Colin Cotterill on Dr Siri Paiboun. Set in Laos, he is a self-made forensic doctor who gets into all sorts of pickles and crime investigations. This book is The Delightful Life of a Suicide Pilot.

There's seldom a page where I don't laugh out loud at his conversations and comments. Really if you like a mystery set in a different country (and it couldn't be much more different) do read the series. The book I'm on is book 15. It's like putting on a comfy pair of slippers after a 10 mile hike.

ascu75 likes this.
  17. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

This post :)

ascu75 likes this.
  18. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Took me a few seconds but I got there eventually :rolleyes:

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  19. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Beyond good and evil by F. Nietzsche