1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Hotblack, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penny. Like visiting a soul friend who knows how you think and feel and doesn't judge.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The Frood, a sort of biography of Douglas Adams

Catriona likes this.
  3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Re, re reading The Silmarillion by J.R.R.Tolkien.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Vox, by Christina Dalcher. set in the not too distant future, almost present day, where all women (amongst other restrictions) are only allowed to say one hundred words a day otherwise their bracelets emit electric shocks.

5. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Fintan O'Toole Heroic Failure - Brexit and the Politics of Pain. Fascinating! I've only read a couple of chapters so far but I haven't read anything I'd disagree with.

Lynn

6. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Just finished I am Pilgrim and now starting Station Eleven. Quite a cheery book, so far most of the population of the Earth has been wiped out, so things can only get better right?

ascu75 likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Ah! another rewrite of Bob Dylan...

:D:D:D

8. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Haha, not quite a world war, or an original idea, but the devil is in the detail ;)

9. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

Just started Phillip Pullman's latest in his 'Book of Dust' series; however, I've had to stop, as real world events are getting so depressing, I'm struggling to concentrate and it's sucking all the enjoyment out of reading.

10. Catriona

Entertaining Mr Pepys by Deborah Swift.
    It's the 1660s. Interesting times!

11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I'm also a fan of Tolkein, but I find the many books finished off by his son, to read more like history text books than novels. I've battled my way through the Silmarillion twice, and managed unfinished tales & lost tales 1 & 2, before learning not to bother.

Just recently I've been binge reading Dan Brown: Angels & demons, inferno, deception point... (now on the da-Vinci code)

12. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Just about to start Peter Robinson WHEN THE MUSIC 'S OVER this will be the third or fourth DCI Banks I have read.

13. Catriona

Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont by Elizabeth Taylor.

It was one of those 99p Kindle books that looked like a bit of light escape from my historical novels.
    It turned out to be a real insight into the old age of several characters closeted together in a hotel in their failing years.
    In the end I had to find a handkerchief.
    Very well written.

14. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Storm Front by John Sandford! It has more holes in the story than a tea bag and how it sold 40million copies I have no idea but I will carry on till the bitter end :(
    X Don

15. dream_police

Don't you just hate it when that happens? You really want to stop because it's that bad, but you still want to reach a conclusion. I think I have only ever stopped reading a book once. It really was that bad.

Catriona and Dan S like this.
  16. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Harpo Speaks! - the autobiography of Harpo Marx. Very amusing. After that the new Asterix is waiting.....

Lynn

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's one reason I avoid novels; they rarely reward time spent on them.

18. dream_police

It wasn’t a novel I was commenting on. It was the bible.:)

Ok not true.

Zou likes this.
  19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Just finished Dara Ó Briain's Tickling the English. An amusing history of one of his tours, with digressions about the English.

Next on the list is Orwell's Diaries. A somewhat heavier read, I suspect.

One thing I noticed, on the page concerning copyright etc, is the line "George Orwell has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work". Obviously some legalese that has to be there, but looks a tad odd all the same.

20. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

70 years is up as of the end of January this year, so copyright of the author doesn't exist anymore. If it were assigned to someone else, that's a different matter.

Perhaps it's his big brother asserting dominance:D:eek: