1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Hotblack, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

J.G.Ballard, "Miracles of life" (autobiography). His observations of the english in the late 1940s/early 1950s are, as he himself hints, still valid today. Not that they are particularly flattering!

Lynn

2. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Just Reading Patricia Cornwall Flesh and Blood about sixty pages to go so won't be long here.
    Don

Catriona likes this.
  3. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Just finished 'Betrayal' by Martina Cole first time I have read one of her books but I must say as soon as I can get to the local Library I will be devouring a few more

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Will look her up, thanks!

ascu75 likes this.
  5. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Just finished The Life by Martina Cole I am now starting The Wild Remedy by Emma Mitchell

6. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

The Golden Apples Of The Sun. I'm afraid it is not living up to my memory of my first (teenage) reading. Distance lends enchantment?

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

As usual I have various things on the go but I'm finding "Grant Wins the War: Decision at Vicksburg" compelling. It's about one of the pivotal actions of the American civil war and Arnold manages to explain both the strategic and tactical actions of both sides in an understandable manner. It's neither too dry nor too purple and it doesn't harm that some of the protagonists seem to have stepped straight out of Terry Pratchett's world. :D

8. Chilli

Chilli Well-Known Member

Lee Child, Tripwire

ascu75 likes this.
  9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Going to the library this afternoon to try and find more Lee Child books

Chilli likes this.
  10. Chilli

Chilli Well-Known Member

one shelf of our bookcase is filled up with his books.

ascu75 likes this.
  11. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Lucky you, we have just got back from the Library (for the second time today must remember closed Weds am.) got two new books . Don

Chilli likes this.
  12. Catriona

Light in the Shadows by Linda Lafferty. A novel set in the time of Caravaggio with all the characters and history, and the present day. Great stuff!

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Some Wore Blue & Some Wore Gray by Heather Graham. Short biographies of the main generals of the American Civil War.

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Other Paths to Glory by Anthony Price. Re-reading following the announcement of his death.

15. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Just literally finished minutes ago PORT Mortuary by Patricia Cornwall :( what shall I read now?

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Have a look at Linda Lafferty's books. I must say I enjoyed The Light in the Shadows. All about Caravaggio's life and times and the present day search re a painting which came to light - and trying to trace it's journey. It is fiction in that respect but was an interesting absorbing read.
    I am now reading The Bloodletter's Daughter by her (Linda Lafferty) set in Prague in the 1600s. Enjoying it so far.

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have just finished a Dean Koontz book (the last in the Jane Hawk series) it was fairly rubbish, but since I've read the others I felt obliged to finish it)

I am just about to start The Star of the North, set in North Korea. My wife said it was good and it seems to get good reviews online.

Catriona likes this.
  18. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I picked up a Dean Koontz book at the Library. I have read a couple of his and yes I found them rubbish. I got it because I might finish the books I wanted before we go back to the library and then I would have something to read. I am not really selling the books for him am I ?

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed a lot of his books over the years, probably read most, but they have gone down hill quite a bit. There have been some shockers in the past few years.

20. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I am in Respite care and just chosen Blood Count by Robert Goddard and The Brethren by John Grisham from the book stall. I shall start reading once the #Lionesses beat Argentina. I am here for two weeks whilst Heather (my wife) recovers from a cataract operation due in the morning. I have read several of Grishams books so may choose to start off with. [​IMG] 9780099280255_Z.jpg look at me posting images I had forgot how to do it...............applause please