1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Hotblack, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Ian Rankin's latest Rebus novel. I'm struggling with it a bit, but I've realised that's because I'm binge watching back episodes of Endeavour and can't seem to switch between the two very well.

ascu75 likes this.
  2. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

just finished
    PIG: Tales From An Organic Farm

3. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Just finished Lilly Allens book MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY i have also discoverred Lee Child's JACK REACHER Books which I read two o/f last week and have another sitting on the side to start when I finish here.:confused:
    Don

4. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I finally found a copy of Jack Fincher's book Human Intelligent.

[​IMG]

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

6. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Bill Bryson: The Road to Little Dribbling

Lynn

7. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Ursula Le Guin: The Other Wind.

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The Blinded Man by Arne Dahl

(and cursing Kindle's attempts to upgrade, blocked for now). Anyone else noticed how when you press Later for an upgrade, that lasts less than 5 minutes?

9. John Farrell

I do most of my reading the old fashioned way - the ereader (a Sony) is rarely turned on.

Catriona likes this.
  10. Catriona

I used to but I find my hands and arms and eyes prefer the Kindle. I can increase the print size and don't have to wear glasses.

John Farrell likes this.
  11. John Farrell

Some of the files on the Sony are camera repair and history books, and they're PDFs - you can't scale the print, like on an ebook.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

I really enjoy crime/mystery novels set in different countries. Some of my favourites have been Indian and the Far East. French can be a bit angst-ridden as can Italian, but currently the Swedish one I'm reading has a nice fast pace, with touches of humour which is nice. Do you know of any New Zealand crime writers? I'm not into blood and guts and injections of culture and humour greatly enhance the experience.

13. John Farrell

I don't know of any contemporary NZ crime writers. In the past, Ngaio Marsh was the best known.

Catriona likes this.
  14. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Maigret and the Good People of Montparnasse by George Simenon - some of my earliest television memories are the opening credits to Maigret starring Rupert Davies.

The recent editions of the Maigret books, published by penguin, all feature cover photos by Harry Gruyaert :)

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  15. Catriona

Gosh, I knew her name immediately. I'm sure I read some of her work years and years ago. I've saved a website with all her work listed. I'll see if any are on Amazon for my Kindle. Thanks!

John Farrell likes this.
  16. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

17. Catriona

Matthew Legare's Shadows of Tokyo set in the early 1930s. Big history lesson!

18. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Victor Hugo-Les Miserables.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My wife read that in the original French and précied it for me as "life is horrible and then you're dead". I tried reading it in English and realised she was right long before I got half way through. Mind you: the music's pretty good. ;)

20. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Ann Cleeves Hidden Depths a Vera novel