1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Hotblack, Oct 24, 2010.

1. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

Good grief. I have read through 'The Road to Reality', twice, His system of representing matrix algebra topologically is a little mind-mazing
    I started with 'The Emperor's New Mind' --- much more comfortable, one can dip in to it for 'snipits'.
    Hope your Ph.D (physics) holds up.

Currently 'The Twelfth Insight' by James Redfield

D.Lox

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Trash. Free novels from a "library" in an open phone-booth-sized enclosure where you drop off and pick up books without any formalities.

Cheers,

R

Geren likes this.
  3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I have two books on the go currently; "Reading the Rocks" - about Victorian era geologists, and "Six Minutes in May"- about Churchill becoming prime minister in 1940...although so far it's been about Neville Chamberlain's unregarded qualities.

4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

We have something similar here - boxes the size of an oversized letterbox....called "Lilliput Libraries".

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Marianne Dreams. It's a book that I read as a child but could never remember the title of it again. I have periodically asked people if they remember the book about the girl who was sick and who drew pictures that came to life in her dreams. There were ominous boulders with faces on that moved as well. Anyway, normally I'm met with a bunch of blank stares but over the bank holiday weekend two of my friends remembered the story, and sufficient other details to allow us to google it, and as a surprise, one of those friends sent me a copy.

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I very rarely read fiction but recently re-read Tolkien's Silmarillion - took me back many years to stuff I read in my younger days.

7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'm reading The Flight of the Intrepid Monkey by Mac Zazski - which came to my attention as being listed as having one of the worst covers ever! I'm actually enjoying it, and finding it somewhat reminscent of Thorne Smith.

Cheers, Jeff

8. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

Having recently read, and enjoyed, Neal Asher's Spatterjay trilogy, I am now reading his Gridlinked, which is ok, but which I'm not enjoying quite as much.

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I've just finished reading leCarré's A Legacy of Spies.

Anyone else read it?

If so, can you explain the ending? It seems to just fizzle out. :confused:

10. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

I've really enjoyed all of his 'Circus' novels, good reads all of them; but you are correct, the ending on Legacy of Spies was extremely disappointing, almost as though he get bored with the book and wrapped it up as quickly as possible :(

SXH likes this.
  11. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Picked up The Girl on the Train on Saturday and finished it today now started the other book I bought from the same charity bookshop. I thought it was a Wilbur Smith and turned out to be a WILL SMITH when I got home I put that down to dyslexia or plain old stupidity you choose but please be kind with your remarks.:rolleyes: Don

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Just finished The Dominion Trilogy by Joe Hart. Fascinating plausible futuristic social/medical scenario.

13. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Currently reading 20,000 leagues under the sea by Jules Verne.I last read it as a teenager.

14. krasis

krasis Member

I got the book Think Rich and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. It has been highly recommended by Bob Proctor and lots of self development gurus.

15. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Currently on "The Castle" by Franz Kafka and "Pinball" by Haruki Murakami

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Just got "A Spy After All" and a bio of Jock Lewes, both of which were signed and being sold by the author John Lewes (Jock's Nephew) at a local garden centre at the weekend. As I can only read in bits now because of my neck, it is likely to take me some time, but it was interesting to talk to John about his uncle.

17. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I just finished Pharaoh buy Wilbur Smith and I read another book that was instantly forgettable I cannot recall the title and it is in the hallway awaiting return to the library. It was that interesting that I can't be bothered to get it. I have given up on my Kindle and am going to the library again.

18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Colin Cotterill series the Dr Siri Paiboun Mystery.

Set in Laos with sidetracks into Cambodia (Kampuchea) Vietnam and Thailand. Written from the angle of the natives of those countries. Great series and much recommended for something completely different!

19. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Maigret's Anger.

With On Growth and Form by D'Arcy Wentworth Thompsom waiting

S

20. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

The Feather Men by Ranulph Fiennes.
    This seems to 'fizzle' just like SXH's ~ 'A Legacy of Spies' #269