1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swanseadave, Feb 22, 2009.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Interesting. But has she defined who the English are? Not sure we know.

ascu75 likes this.
  2. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I see that I contributed early on. I have no memory, none at all, of the book that I was reading. I'll have to look it up to remind myself.

MicklL

Dan S likes this.
  3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Maybe one of the mods could (hint, hint) have a word with an Admin and get them merged?

That could cause some confusion... ;)

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There's a good reason for using the [Reply] button :D

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Just bought a secondhand copy of the 3rd Peking to Paris car rally, (100th anniversary of the original) some of the vehicles were as old, ranging from a 1907 Itala to 1909 T Ford. 100 miles of breakdowns, repairs (some of which beggar belief) though it has to be said that the original route was probably worse a most of it would have been though Kazakhastan then up to Finland and then down to Paris. The organisers did try getting permission to follow the original route but weren't able to do so. There a website that covers the 2019 version of this rally, which started off June the 2nd and finished the 7th of July. One hell of a book!
    https://www.endurorally.com/events/the-7th-peking-to-paris-motor-challenge/

ascu75 likes this.
  6. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I looked up a review of the book I was reading (White Tiger) and now remember it. I also realise why I forgot it despite it being a Man Booker prize winner.

MickLL

7. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Ann Cleeves the Glass Room! Also Paul Farley Selected Poems.

8. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I picked up a book at the library, that I first read decades ago - The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula LeGuin. I'm half way through it, and I find it eerily resonant of today's conditions..........

9. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

That's what she was trying to find out even though it's a novel. It would seem that 'the english' in the colonies weren't necessarily 'the english' she encountered in London in 1950.

Lynn

10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

A hoot of a novel about some old ladies and how they (we) are! Should be compulsory reading for men from middle age onwards.
    The Single Ladies of Jacaranda Retirement Village. by Joanna Neil.

Back to book.

ascu75 likes this.
  11. Catriona

A Spy named Orphan by Roland Philipps.
    Bio of Donald Maclean (one of the Cambridge Five spies).

Had to get this. The author I knew when he was 2 years old and looked after him for a while in London. Bounced him on my knee. Lovely family, very well connected.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    dream_police likes this.
  12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I like things like that. When I was 19 or so and was in a flat share a young lad came to live with us who was only 16 (he was a friend of a friend) and I took him under my wing. I taught him how to drive etc and I was a bit of a father figure to him despite only being a few years older.
    I look at him now, a film/TV director who has done quite a lot of well known TV productions both here and in the US. We still speak and meet up too, which is good.

13. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Have to say he was definitely worth bouncing. I read this book a few months ago. Beautifully researched and written.

Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

Yes, I was pleased to find out what had become of them. Guy his brother is a QC and 4th Baron Milford. Don't know about sister Kate (Katherine) or a later son Ivo, but I'm happy now. Looking forward to reading the book. When I looked after them, it was in Tregunter Road West Kensington and I was all of 17 going on 18 years old. :)

15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Just started to catch up on my favourite sources of brain-food, the Economist and New Scientist magazines that have accumulated since the week before Christmas.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

The only two I buy! Enjoy.

17. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Currently re-reading "Monstrous Regiment" by Terry Pratchett and "The Body: An occupiers Manual" by Bill Bryson

And does anyone else here not get audiobooks?

When I got Alexa I got a trial on Audible and got a lot of very big books but I hardly ever use it? i have been listening to "A Clash of Kings" by George R R Martin for around 5 months it just sends me to sleep apart from when the reader ruins some of the characters by giving them accents that just don;t work for example he has the Lannisters largely speaking Queens English apart from Tyrion who sounds Welsh!

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I've just read Thief River Falls by Brian Freeman (a Kindle monthly deal at 99p) really engaging and different.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Half way through Phillip Pullman's "The Amber Spyglass"; having been inspired to read the trilogy by the BBC serial. They didn't half mess it about! :confused:

20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Knife by Jo Nesbø. The latest in the Harry Hole books. Far fetched crime novels but I do like them.