1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swanseadave, Feb 22, 2009.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I've just started "Firstborn" by Clarke and Baxter. The Clarke collaborations lack the lyricism of "pure" ACC. I wasn't too keen on Adams, but I'm definatly a Tolkein fan.
    Oh, I don't consider any fiction to be "serious".Serious is when a page begins "Thus it can be shown".....and turns into equasions.
    Dave

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The Lizard Strategy, by Valerio Varesi. To read about the intrigues of Politics, Business, Philosophy and the way society is travelling - the right, the left, the corruption - it frightened me how like the UK the whole scenario is. The strategies outlined as the book progresses, are so like what is happening here, it could be an instruction manual of what has happened to our democracy.

3. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Well-Known Member

I've just finished the latest in the "Earls Other Son" series by Andrew Wareham (historical fiction, Naval, set in China/HK around 1900); very good
    Recently I've enjoyed a trio of books starting with The Rotters Club by Jonathan Coe - light slightly comic fiction based on a group of friends who were at school together in the early 70's in Birmingham, then moving through their 40's to late 50's, with involvement in the social and political experiences of those years - rang a lot of bells!

Now I'm looking for something fresh. I suppose I really like the Jonathan Coe, Tom Sharpe, John Irving type of thing (but less heavy than Irving).

Catriona likes this.
  4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Just finished re-reading Peter Frankopan's 'The Silk Roads - a new history of the world' and will be starting the book which is an update on this, 'The new Silk Roads' about China's ambitions and the 'contruction' of a modern version of this. The first book, is an amazing piece of work, due to the area, civilisations and time-frame it covers, whilst his latest book is going to be about the political and financial shenannigans that surround the building of this route.

Catriona likes this.
  5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I am slowly working my way through the entire Nero Wolfe canon, in chronological order. Up to number 38 so far.

I have also today achieved a short term ambition - read AP from the beginning of October to the latest by the end of April, having started three weeks ago. They were all just sitting on m y tablet, unread!

ascu75 and Catriona like this.
  6. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`m a fan of Kate Mosse`s historical fiction in and around Carcassonne.I`m in the middle of The Burning Chambers.

7. Catriona

Just downloaded Number 1 of Nero Wolfe! A bit expensive on Kindle. but we'll see. :)

8. Catriona

Just downloaded the Earls Other Son books. Thanks!

PS and The Rotters Club too. :)

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Currently working my way through Architectural Photography: Composition, Capture, and Digital Image Processing, by Adrian Shulz. This edition.

Mixed reviews on Amazon, but I think it's pretty good. Tells you a lot of things that seem obvious - once you've been told them. And lots of examples.

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Instruction manual for dishwasher:D

11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

So all else failed eh? ;)

12. RovingMike

Don McCullin Unreasonable Behaviour. Thought I already read it and had it somewhere, but can't remember any of it.

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

This thread.
    Ye gods! Zombie thread alert! Anyone else noticed the 10 year gap in the middle?
    These threads depress me with all the members who are no longer here.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It's a thread worth renewing every ten years or so. If that happens every ten years for the next thousand years then AP will have a godsend for √ôseless PhD students of some useless socio literary subject.
    Incidently I accidently got this character √ô. However did I do it? I am using a short English UK keybourd without number pad.

15. RovingMike

Gosh yes. Ermintrude, Snow Queen, Fen....Can't think why I didn't contribute to this. Perhaps not reading anything.

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The question that springs to my mind is why are they no longer here?

17. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Blame Facebook. I think you'll find some of them there.

18. RovingMike

It became a very unpleasant place for a lot of people about 5/6/7 years ago. Many said farewell then.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  19. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Doris Lessing: Auf der Suche/In Pursuit of the English.

Not quite halfway through but some of her comments and/or verdicts on 'the English' are quite pertinent even today.....................

Lynn

20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

There is a thread with the same title in The Games Room that is current.