1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swanseadave, Feb 22, 2009.

1. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Very odd, it's usually Austrian white that has the anti-freeze. Bluecol must be branching out... :rolleyes:

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

actually just my little jest..it's not abad little number called Monferrato Dolcetto..part of my birthday present from last November....had four bottles now down to two...SWMBO brother drank one with his birthday lunch last week whilst I who was going to work drank flat pepsi....he ain't getting his mitts on anymore...

3. Overread

Overread Well-Known Member

Jhegaala - by Steven Brust
    witty and sort of darkish - it was good reading on the train today (5 hours total today!)

4. Linux_Lady

Linux_Lady Well-Known Member

And me! I live there :D

I am currently reading 'Polgara the Soceress' by David Eddings.

I can't stand 'intellectual' books very often, so tend to read escapism ones that don't hurt my brain... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif :cool:

5. Overread

I could never get into Eddings - might try again I did make it all the way through Pawn of Prophecy so I could keep trying.

6. Linux_Lady

Linux_Lady Well-Known Member

I really like his books... but then I also like Philip Pullman.. and of course, Terry Pratchett.

I have NEVER got into Douglas Adams and despite picking up 'Hitchikers Guide' about 5 times... I put it down before the first 50 pages as thought it was so, so boring...

Same with Tolkien... Love the films, couldn't stand the books - endless pages of discription.. GET ON WITH THE PLOT :mad: But my friend loves the books...

I also like Michael Dobbs, I read one recently... 'The First Lady' ... very good ending /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If you want.. you can come over and we can have a nice, cosy 'book reading' evening...

... just remember those soapy frogs! :eek: :D ;)

7. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Some rivetting titles here for your future erudition. I'm especially looking forward to laying my hands on "The 2009-2014 World Outlook for 60-milligram Containers of Fromage Frais" by Professor Philip M Parker. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. colindavis

colindavis Well-Known Member

I'm reading John Peel's at the moment.Enjoying it too!!

Also reading Raymond Blanc's .Yes 2 at the same time!!!!!!!!

Colin :)

9. Overread

hmm Pullman, Pratchett, Douglas Adams and Tolkien - all top reads for me :)
    never read Michael Dobbs - though I think I have heard of the name

and if I brings the frogs you have to remember the bananas!

10. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

the manual to CHDK, and Catch 22, and Dark Tower, and got the Choir Boys coming in the mail.

G>

11. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

You could always try 'Bored of the Rings' ... :rolleyes:

12. snowqueen

snowqueen Well-Known Member

:) Neil Gaiman's - Eternals :)

13. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Kant's Critique of Pure Reason... :D :( :mad:

14. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

The Midden by Tom Sharpe.

Working my way through all of his books again but need to find a couple that seem to have vanished. Wilt, Vintage Stuff and Porterhouse Blue need finding to complete the set.

On top of that, the D700 manual is still sat beside the throne for further digestion and there are a few magazines around that I haven't finished yet.

15. TheFatControlleR

Ah, a member of the Twitterati... :rolleyes:

16. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he seems only to be able to talk about his publicity

17. TheFatControlleR

Well, he's not alone in that respect...

18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

That's a point... When is your new film being released ;) :D

19. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

I've just finished The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak which was excellent and I've just also finished Engleby by Sebastian Faulks. I usually find Faulks to be a pretentious 'arris but Engleby is pretty good (apart from the last 50 pages where it gets stuck up it's own 'arris). The first 300 pages are brilliant.

Oh! and I've just read Dark Fire by C J Sansom. Excellent page turning stuff written wiith enough wit and intelligence to stop it being an ordinary pot-boiler.

20. TheFatControlleR

Well, it's doing the rounds of the festivals this year, so... :cool: