1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a dreary place this is.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Brian, Apr 19, 2016.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

That doesn't sound quite right (or, at least, the explanation doesn't). Climbing steeply uses more fuel per unit of time than a more moderate rate of climb but my elementary physics suggests that it probably uses much the same amount of fuel to reach a given altitude (say 33,000 feet) whether one does it quickly and steeply or slowly and less steeply. The thing is that cruising at constant altitude uses less fuel at high altitudes than at lower altitudes - so the quicker you get up there, the longer you can benefit from the lower fuel consumption per mile.

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

When I was a kid we were on our way to Abersoch on holiday when my dad's Ford Zephyr ran out of petrol in the middle of nowhere and we ended up having to free-wheel all the way down from the mountains into Betws-y-Coed.

3. PhotoEcosse

Ah. Those halcyon days before power steering and servo-assisted brakes.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Reminds me of the days when Candid Camera was more than just tormenting people. They had a little old lady freewheel down a hill into a petrol station in a car with no engine. Poor guy was trying to explain to her why it wouldn't start.

5. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Yes I remember that one! I agree about the culture of cruelty that passes for entertainment now.

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mike,

A friend of mine -- a former Hell's Angel -- tells a story of being in a transport caff when Candid Camera was being filmed. Another Hell's Angel was sitting down to a plate of chips. The presenter stole one. The Hell's Angel ignored him. This happened three times. The fourth time, the chip thief found his hand pinned to the table by a large knife. Oddly enough, they never showed that one on television.

Cheers,

R.

7. RovingMike

That I would love to have seen. There is much of interest that goes on down at Ryka's cafe at breakfast time on a summer's weekend.

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Well, Eric and now, Roger Mac, have had ago at livening things up, Brian. Have you seen their new avatars? Not sure I fully like the move away from studiousness and elegant seniority that they used to display.

Will it brighten your Forum day if I start a debate over whether I should have typed avatar with a capital A as in Avatar? Which is correct? Cheers, Oly

9. 0lybacker

Think the explanation is, Eric, that they were going with the prevailing wind - mostly - on European shorthauls. So, the steep climb was more than offset by the throttled back glide into Schiphol or Frankfurt or wherever. Plus you get nowhere near 33,000 feet on those runs, 17,000, I think, was the figure quoted although it may have been a bit less. Cheers, Oly

10. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

No,

But what would make my day Oly is if you started a thread relating to a photographic technique/ topic etc.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Mods: Can we have a "dislike" button please?

dream_police and Roger Hicks like this.
  12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Here here.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  13. PhotoEcosse

But this is the Lounge, Brian. Threads relating to photography are banned (aren't they?)

14. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I didn't say the thread had to be in the Lounge" There are other places , mostly sadly neglected.

15. RovingMike

By you certainly. My pinned post in Talking Pictures has 24,000 views and 68 replies, none of which are illuminated by a contribution from you I see.

16. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I have just looked at the Talking Picture place. None of the suggested themes/ topics am I qualified to debate.

Reference your " pinned" thread. 24,000 views and 68 replies, some 30% from yourself, another 10% from Nick , would perhaps indicate a certain disinterest in the subject matter by the majority including myself.

Any subject linking photography to interpretation, expression, sensitivity, genre, morals, inspirations , integrity etc etc has me running out of the door.

I am quite happy taking my snaps, I don't have any kind of mission, I leave that to others

17. RovingMike

How stunningly boring.

Mathematical note 30% + 10% = 40%. 100% - 40% = 60%. 60% = majority. QED

18. 0lybacker

Aagh, Brian! Have you seen the latest Poll? Now, deliberately taking photographs in bad weather. How about that? Weather as technique? There's a thing.

Did you look at this photographer's album 'Rainy Days' https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruipalha/albums/ ?

I'll put my thinking cap on for a few more enliveners. :)

Cheers, Oly

19. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

In truth Oly I put my camera away when the sun shines.:)

20. 0lybacker

Good for you. Brian, what did you think of Rui Palha's work? Cheers, Oly