1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a dreary place this is.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Brian, Apr 19, 2016.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Are there any other imposters in the room?

Imagine the outcry if I managed to hack my way into the Conservative Party's private discussion forum!

I don't mind outsiders having read-only access, but allowing them to post.........??? Why should we bother paying our magazine subscriptions?

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I went to business college and we talked about....business. Except when Tariq Ali and Danny the Red popped in to try to get us to join some strike or other. We gave them the bum's rush and pigged out in the canteen on everything the Art students had left when they went off to chant mindlessly.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

How incredibly depressing.

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I went to Mime College - we really didn't talk about much at all...

5. RovingMike

But I lived in a Maida Vale flat, so did the others all the rest of the time. :)

Benchista likes this.
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Somewhat less depressing. ;)

7. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Ah! 1969. I remember it well. I was working at a college in Edinburgh at the time and Tariq Ali came to address the mob.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I said that I had taken a break during lent, having done so I find I am less inclined to post.

That the software has changed is unrelated to my inclination, or otherwise, to post

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Misinterpreted then, sorry. You mentioned coming back to new software after your lent comment so assumed that was the reason, not the fact you'd been observing Lent.

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

[QUOTE ="Years ago in the common room at Brighton Art College, the usual talk was about drugs sex and rock and roll. Photography, painting, sculpture etc never got a mention.[/QUOTE]

We all have / had our crosses to bear...............................

Lynn

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Brian, methinks it is time you livened things up with some Fuji lens-testing shots of stamp pages or watch innards. Cheers, Oly

12. RovingMike

Yes it really happened. We told the two of them where to go, then went down to the canteen for lunch and found no-one else there. We were the business side of StMartin's School of Art called CDT.

13. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Far too much excitement .

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  14. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

^ ^ ^ :D :D :D

15. RovingMike

I have a watch story. Bought the most basic Casio digital at Argos long ago for £9 to use while gardening etc. After some years the loop on the plastic strap broke so I called into Casio dealer in Tottenham Ct Rd to see if he had a spare. He immediately offered me a £30 replacement and when asked why, produced a well-thumbed Japanese tome of collectible Casios and said the dealer would be around soon. He put it in his drawer and I would guess got something like £100 for it.

16. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

On obtaining my PPL I celebrated and bought a watch. It was an 806 Brietling Navitimer, then the watch recommended by BALPA. This was 1966, nearly fifty years ago. I paid £57 for it, probably about two weeks wages. Still have it, well more accurately my son has, hardly worn, been serviced once. Probably worth about 100 times more now.

Memo to self. Better get it back before the bigger sells it.

And yes Mike, power flying is great for getting from A to B, whereas gliding is the closest man ever gets to the real thing.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  17. RovingMike

Not an exaggeration, they are on sale for well over £5,000 second hand. Nice thing about gliding, you never lose it. Was chuffed to be given an experience flight as a present 35 years after last being in one. Not allowed to fly the aero tow takeoff, but after that, never let the instructor get his hands on the thing again.

18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I like the idea of gliders - aircraft than can land perfectly safely without the aid of an engine.

I think that more aircraft should adopt these qualities. As an aside, since when has asking a member of the cabin crew where the parachutes are kept been 'alarmist' and likely to 'upset other passengers'?

20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's always puzzled me why aeroplanes have life jackets under the seat, but you don't get parachutes on a ship.