1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a dreary place this is.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Brian, Apr 19, 2016.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I think I mentioned it before but my grandad flew Sopwith Camels in WW1.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If you tried to fly a Lego Sopwith Camel I suspect you would soon be bricking it...

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  3. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Me too, Brian.

Even if I am only interested in why on Earth anyone would be interested in the subject.

4. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Isn't that the standard refuelling procedure?

Benchista likes this.
  5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

And sitting on those embossed dimples can't be comfortable.

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Don't worry Mike, whatever shape your bottom is I think you'll find that Lego's virtually indestructible.

Cheers, Jeff

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

They've broken it in doing their "upgrade".

8. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Which reminds me of the Morecambe & Wise sketch with them as Royal Flying Corps officers:
    Ernie: "I'll just go out and service the camel."
    Eric: "There's no answer to that"

(Script by Eddie Braben)

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Several of your posts make the point this forum is dull and not what it was. As I am an amateur photographer and golfer we are not likely to agree. Some of the posts in the lounge section are entertaining as are posts in other sections when they go off at a tangent. The main purpose for me is too learn more about photography and not as some form of social media covering a wide range of topics.

If the site is that bad you can always leave.

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, yes Brian could "shake its dust from (his) feet as (he) leaves"*, but that's a bit drastic.

Or he could contribute to various threads/comps if he thinks that will improve things. I think I'd prefer the latter. But I'm an incurable optimist. o_O

* Matthew 10:14, New Living Translation. Approximately.

11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Brian, leave. That's like throwing out your old brown leather Chesterfield. It just can't happen.:(

12. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I don't want Brian to go anywhere either - I'm thoroughly enjoying seeing the results of his developing love for his new Fuji kit.

13. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

If you see an old friend gasping their last breath do you walk past or do your best to revive them?

And as a member for 15 years and someone who has nearly 10,000 post under their belt I feel I have the right to voice my opinion.

You want to learn about photography, great. There is nothing you need to know that couldn't be written on a postage stamp. The talent to use those instructions might take a little more effort.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  14. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Even if they are a golfer?
    Graeme

15. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Don't have any friends who are either.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It does seem that every time the forum software changes the use goes down.

I took a break during Lent and came back to this new version, I will probably post less than before.

17. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Indeed Geoff, it is horrible.

18. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have noticed this on other forums too.

19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

But presumably the usage will creep back up again once either the oldies get used to it, or enough newbies join who don't have the older version to compare it to?
    For the record, I quite like the new version.

20. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Of course you are entitled to your opinion particularly with your history on this forum, I was not being disrespectful. Times have changed and I suspect the days of some forums are numbered. Quite why this forum has less activity than other photography forums I cannot say.

If photography is as simple as you say why do people take so long studying it at college, why are there so many books, mags etc on the subject? Is it all a great fraud.

Perhaps all the photography related sections of the forum should be condensed into one for those boring enough to need such things and the lounge can be expanded for those requiring excitement.

We have some interesting posts eg the Bolton pigeon, lovely pics of Westies, a certain writer taking on everybody, what more could you want.