1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What A Coincidence

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by JamieMountain, Aug 16, 2018.

1. JamieMountain

JamieMountain New Member

Hey I'm Jamie, I could insert the generic "I've been interested in photography for many years blah blah blah" malarkey but I shall instead tell you how I discovered this website.

Funny story. My Grandma got a deal with her phone contract in which she gets a free Amateur Photographer magazine for three months but she gives them to me because she knows I'm into my photography (We're talking Instagram level, nothing more at the moment).

Anyway after being given camera duties at my cousin's christening last week, holding and shooting a DSLR felt gorgeous compared to the bridge camera I use at the moment.

So, combining these two points, I am now looking into getting an entry level DSLR and came to this forum for help. I will soon make another thread asking for such advice.

Look forward to speaking to you!

(Current cameras: Nikon L830, GoPro Hero 5 Black, Galaxy S7 Smartphone)

EightBitTony likes this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Hello, I will revert to type and just say, welcome aboard :)

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

And from me.

S

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

3 months free copies of AP - what a wonderful and useful gift.

The 'beginner looking for advice about what camera to buy' is a regular subject on the AP, so it might be helpful to look for other threads about this. Even if they don't answer all your questions, they might prompt a few questions for you to ask yourself.

My first ones to you are:
    1. What is your budget? (There is a lot of decent secondhand stuff available from reputable dealers.)
    2. Have you any particular type of subject you want to photograph? (The standard kit lens may not be ideal for some subjects.)
    3. What is the largest print you are likely to want to get done? (If only 30 x 45 cm, or even 40 x 60 cm, for example, and older model camera body with a 16 megapixel sensor will be more than adequate. Or if you never plan to get prints done, why buy a DSLR?)

Be warned - it can become a fascinating, but expensive hobby.
    Think carefully about what you want to do with camera body and lens(es) to do before you invest you funds.

Roger Hicks likes this.