1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wex Secondhand

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Richard Thacker, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Hi,

does anyone have experience of buying second hand cameras from Wex. What is their warranty like?

thanks

Richard

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure but I'd expect it to be typical of a camera shop - usually 6 months (perhaps 3 for ancient stuff no longer able to be repaired).

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Not sure about WEX, but MPB have varying warranties, from 6 months to a year, depending on the purchase. I imagine they're similar. Is there no mention of it on their website?

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I've never bought second hand from Wex, but after trying to sell some stuff to them - my guess is their second hand stuff is exactly as described and very well checked over.

They state all their used items come with a 12 month warranty unless otherwise stated.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Their "used" pages start with a statement that they offer 12 months' warranty on all used products. I've bought a few used items from them including at least one camera, and it was as expected - exactly as described, and adequately packaged.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Not tested their warranty yet but I recent!y bought a C anon 7D described as mint from them and I was impressed with their services and the camera fitted the description

Catriona likes this.
  7. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I do, they are box shifters, not that this is bad, just after sales is never ever personal. They are 100% reputable and I have an account, fast, never a problem just don't expect great AS service

I have bought from MPB three times over two years, all have gone back faulty.

I have shopped with LCE for so many years I can not remember, the service is almost perfect. Free delivery over £50

That was easy T and Cs

10. The Warranty
    10.1 All Second Hand/Used Items purchased directly from mpb.com carry a 6 month warranty (unless otherwise stated). Accidental damage and misuse is NOT covered by this warranty. What is and is not covered is detailed specifically in this document. mpb.com reserves the right to repair or replace under warranty.

10.2 The warranty is valid from the date of purchase until the end of the 6 month period. The warranty is subject to proof of purchase being provided; therefore you should retain your sales invoice. The warranty is not transferable to a third party. All works carried out under warranty must be pre-approved and authorised by mpb.com.

10.3 Authorising the Return

10.3.1 In the unlikely event that you have any complaints or you wish to return your purchase under warranty you can contact us by:

Emailing us at customerservice@mpbphotographic.co.uk stating your name and order number, and describing the issue with your purchase.

Phoning us on +44 (0) 330 808 3271 stating your name and order number.

10.3.2 Please note that you must contact us prior to returning any goods received to obtain a Returns Authorisation Number.

10.3.3 All goods returned as faulty will be checked thoroughly by us and if no fault is found the item will be returned to you. We reserve the right not to offer a repair or replacement unless a fault with the item can be established.

10.3.4 mpb.com reserves the right to offer a replacement item in circumstances where a repair is deemed unviable. In the case of second hand items a replacement item may vary slightly in condition from the original item purchased.

10.4 What is covered:

10.4.1 Parts and labour costs in relation to the repair with an approved repairs agent of any fault which occurred during normal usage of the item within the warranty period.

10.4.1.1 Please note that you must contact us for agreement prior to arranging any repair.

10.5 Specific exclusions:

10.5.1 Consumables, including batteries, are not covered by the warranty.

10.6 General exclusions (What's NOT covered):

10.6.1 Wear and tear;

10.6.2 Faults caused by shock or fall, sand, dust, dirt, damp or corrosion, leaky batteries, an act of war or terrorism, fire, theft, attempted theft, accidental or malicious damage, vandalism, corrosion, water contamination or ingress, frost, flooding or other adverse weather conditions, repair or cleaning by unauthorised personnel, impact;

10.6.3 Accidental damage;

10.6.3.1 Inclusive of but not limited to: faults that have occurred because you have not used, stored or handled the product properly or have not followed our written instructions for the product, or those of the manufacturer; or damage or defect due to wilful neglect or negligence by anyone other than us;

10.6.3.2 Faults relating to damage to components such as connector pins deemed by us to be the result of accidental damage or misuse;

10.6.4 Faults relating to image sharpness of a lens that is clearly open to human judgement;

10.6.5 Faults occurring with items where parts are no longer produced, such that the item cannot be repaired;

10.6.6 Loss of quality, degradation of performance or actual damage that results from the use of spare parts or other replaceable items (such as consumables) that are neither made nor recommended by the manufacturer;

10.6.7 Faults due to the connection of other fittings or accessories to the product which we have not approved;

10.6.8 Lost or damaged data;

8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Very efficient and fast.Their.warranty is good. Good firm.

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Wex have a 12 month warranty on used items unless otherwise stated on individual items. I've bought most of my stuff used from Wex and had good aftersales experience too - they have a very clear rating system and I've had some absolutely stonking good bargains that way.

RogerMac likes this.
  10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if any of the retailers who regularly advertise in a reputable magazine like AP can risk offering poor service. Any letter published in the magazine about poor service would be very bad for business.

Any of them would be a much safer bet than the popular 'auction' websites.

Although I've not used Wex, I can vouch for the service of LCE and Ffordes.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I've used Wex a couple of times. Never needed to use the warranty, so can't comment on their aftersales but swift, prompt service.

12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have found them to be very reliable with the quality as described or even better than expected. Never had to test the warranty.

13. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I bought a used XE-2 from them. It was in good condition as described, but had obviously had a heavy smoker for a previous owner which wasn't mentioned. Thankfully the cigarette smell has faded.

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I tend to sniff anything I buy over the counter!

A while ago I was going to sell some camera gear for a friend, I just put the bag in the back of the car without looking at it. A couple of days later I examined it and the smell of very stale tobacco smoke practically hit me. That was over a year ago, it's dumped in a cupboard and still reeks, no way am I listing it on Ebay, instant negative feedback!

15. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I've brought from Wex, the lenses were as described & worked well no need to find out about how their returns work. I don't think I've ever need to return photographic gear brought from a store - a few ebay sellers have needed to refund, but never a store.

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have returned a number of Ebay items over the years, typically lenses where the seller has omitted to mention fungus, in one case it was a severely decentered Tamron lens. One who had sold a lens described as in perfect condition which had a clear fungal problem claimed it was not misdescribed as he had not stated that it did not have fungus! I have never returned an item bought from the better known used retailers, they check items thoroughly before offering them for sale, but I have taken a couple of items back to local retailers, one new item that was dead and one used that developed a fault after a few days, both were dealt with satisfactorily.