1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Werra lenses on ebay

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by steveandthedogs, Jul 18, 2015.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

My Werra III is very definitely black line, whereas my Werra I (a rather lovely green flat-top model) has a clear central screen (the 50mm viewfinder) and a lightly frosted area outside that that I assume would have had bright lines for the interchangeable lens version, coinciding with the area for the 35mm lens in the III's viewfinder. If that makes any sense...

Incidentally, is there anyone on this forum who hasn't owned a Werra - they seem to have been very popular in their day!

Meccano - that's a good description! I read somewhere, and I wish I could recall where, a piece by someone who'd been a photographer at a Butlin's in the 1950s and they used Advocates and Leica IIIs - one had a much better flash sync, so was used indoors and in the evenings.

Adrian

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Indeed, SA, you prompted me to dig out my Werra 3 (later Arabic numbering) & check, and it is indeed thin black line VF frames. Put it down to me enfeebled memory, and possible confusion with later Retinas. What I mainly remembered was how clear and easy to see things it was, compared with the "peepholes" of many older cameras. Mind you I don't do much available darkness shooting! :)

Free is always good. Free Ektar, even better. Grain (OK, dye clumps!) you can hardly see, even on 35mm. On 6x4.5, it'll be effectively nonexistent.

Almost anything is better than what you don't have! :) Glad it's working for you. I gave it as thourough an examination as I could before listins, and everything seemed working well enough, but I'd not had a chance to actually put a film through it before the realisation that I actually do have too many cameras (shock!) caught up with me.

Yes, I kind of found that - and coupled with the fact that the nice reversing hood & case only fit the the Tessar does make it a slight pain if you favour other focal lengths. Which is why my taste has been moving to Paxettes - a Tessar 50/2.8 is an option, though personally I favour the Xenar, and the 35mm options (can't remember the names) fit in the ERC. Slightly more compact, but no nice hood or the sleek design.

I believe Nick (Benchista) is another fan - indeed, it was some of his comments a while ago that inspired me to investigate them.

ISTR a piece in an old PCCGB Photographica journal that I picked up a while ago had an article on repairing an Advocate by making a replacement part using a 3D printer. If I manage to dig it out, I'll let you know.

Well, we were being slightly obfuscatory (nice word!) :) And it was a few months ago. Also, I generally only get on the forums once a day.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  3. gray1720

If you can that would be great - one person on Flickr has pulled one apart, but JMFL it's a different mechanism.

Adrian

4. gray1720

Got a text... they're waiting for me at the out-laws!
    (tend to get stuff delivered there as there's usually someone in)

Funnily enough, mother-out-law used to have a Werra. And a Reid! Sadly the latter succumbed to an obvious side effect of working in a fisheries lab - salt water.

Adrian

5. gray1720

Well, the Cardinar is a bit mushroomy, but I've seen a lot worse. Just need some sunshine... unless I can find someone at work decontaminating anything using UV light? Hmmm, might have to have a chat with Lab Support...

Adrian

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I guess that you wouldn't use it as often as the Flek, even if in good condition.

And even if it turns out to be unusable, I'm sure Kamepa would use it!

S

7. AlexMonro

I had a bit of a looksee this morning, but that particular copy wasn't where I thought it might be. I'll have another hunt when I get the chance, but I regret my filing system leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to finding things - computer scientists may be familiar with the concepts of heap storage and dangling pointers... :(

Of course, if you happen to be a PCCGB member, you could probably find it in the index and request an article photocopy... Might be quicker than my random access...

He'd probably turn the fungi into mushroom soup developer! :)

Not sure if he's got a Werra - don't remember it being mentioned. Haven't seen him around these parts for a while, hope he's OK.

8. gray1720

I think he has everything else!

He last posted on Flickr about a month ago - possibly off on a big continental jaunt again? Certainly hope so - I love what he does.

I think the Cardinar will be OK if I stop it down a bit (if not... I can go all Kamepa - I believe you can develop in urine...), but Lab Support reckon there's some hand-held UV lamps about - I'll see if I can rig one up as a light source somewhere where I won't give anyone a terminal suntan!

Adrian

PS My favourite Kamepa pic ever: https://flic.kr/p/tVeQ5J

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  9. AlexMonro

I'll look forward to seeing what he posts when he gets back.

I've sort of been looking out for a good UV lamp, since sunshine can be a bit undependable.. I tried a UV fly zapper from Maplin, but I don't think it's really powerful enough - did a good job on a fly infestation last summer though! One probably needs to be a bit careful with high power UV though. I wonder in an EPROM eraser might do the trick?

One of my faves too - not overly composted, and the treatment really suits the subject.

I must admit my take on vintage photography is rather the opposite to Kamepa's - I'm generally trying to get the best technical quality I can (though I'm starting to try to explore the creative possibilities of flare in uncoated lenses.) Still, one of the things I appreciate about Kamepa's work is it's different from mine.

10. gray1720

Can't help with the UV light as I ended up using one in the lab - when no-one else was around, and using the UV safety visor to avoid smouldering eyeballs! Half an hour on that has hopefully rendered everything in the lenses brown bread!

I too tend to be trying to get the best out of my old kit, but the last of my stock of Efke film all went Kamepa-esque on me in the fridge! But I'm a great believer in different strokes for different folks and I love seeing what next he's come up with.

Adrian

11. steveandthedogs

Hope it works.

S

12. gray1720

If not, I'll fry the mushrooms...

Adrian

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Moi!

I think they were still available new, Adrian, when I was just getting into photography for the second time. Used to look funny & v.old fashioned in adverts that featured OM1s but it was the start of the SLR boom. I dismissed them then. Mind you, not much good for a budding motor sports photographer as I think 135mm may have been the longest lens they could take and nothing wider than 35mm either. Is that right?

Later on, I was taught how good the lenses were and with endless waves of large lumps of black plastic marching onto the market, chrome started to take on a whole new meaning ...

... and as for green, R3s may look rubbish in it but the Werra is really quite fetching!

Cheers, Oly

14. gray1720

Yes, just two lenses available (apart from the default Tessar), a 35mm and a 100mm.

Adrian

15. steveandthedogs

But they are soooo good, you don't really need anything else.

S

16. gray1720

I guess I should take them to Kew on Saturday, shouldn't I? Half a roll with each, give or take a few for comparison with the Tessar. Remembering which framelines, of course!

Adrian

17. steveandthedogs

Try all three, just don't drop one trying to juggle them onto the camera.

How's your fungus?

S

18. gray1720

Mine, or the lenses? :p

The Flektogon looks fine, hopefully half an hour of UV has dealt with anything nasty. The Cardinar is a bit hazy, but I think should be OK stopped down a couple, as the yurg has spread from the edge. We shall see!

Adrian

19. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Ah, even shorter than I remembered. Mind you as I age, that'd just about do me!

20. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Indeed.

I got my Werra outfit, secondhand but mint, complete with the nifty fitted leather bag, sometime in the 'eighties. It had a slot for the camera and holes for two lenses. There was even a leaflet showing how to use it when changing die objektive!

Those East Germans didn't do anything by halves!

:D