1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Werra lenses on ebay

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by steveandthedogs, Jul 18, 2015.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Gnaaarrrrrgghhhh!

You know how to make a bloke spend money, I've bought them... All your fault!

Still haven't got to the bottom of the Advocate yet - I'm sure I know where the fault must be, but I really need to see another one working to compare.

Adrian

3. steveandthedogs

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

5. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Oooh, mither.

That Stephen is such a naughty boy!

:D

6. steveandthedogs

There's an Ektar in it as we write! What a nice little machine it is, MF which fits in a shirt pocket! And everything seems to work as it should, smoothly and precisely. Best Ensign I've come across.

S

7. gray1720

Which Selfix do you have now?

I'm passing on the Proximeters - much as I'd love them, another time!

Yes, I figured at that price the lenses were too good to miss - I can deal with fungus by putting them in the window (and they won't focus on anything inflammable, as it's too far away!), and I'm more interested in using them so I'm not hugely worried they are not a matching set.

He is indeed a very naughty boy.

Adrian

8. steveandthedogs

16/20.

Didn't have a 6x4.5 of anything and saw this being flogged on ebay by some old reprobate from Devon ;). Bless him. Guess who?

S

9. gray1720

Ooh, a nice thing, especially if it has the Xpres lens. 6x4.5 folders are seriously pocketable! Devon... Dorset Mike?

Adrian

10. steveandthedogs

Rosstar, which I believe is the Ensar renamed. It will fit, just, in my shirt breast pocket, though it's a touch uncomfortable there.
    Some people's geography just isn't up to scratch, is it? Mr A.M. from Devon, not Dorset!

S

11. gray1720

It was a wild guess, Steve! AM... Someone at Mifsuds?

Adrian

12. steveandthedogs

Tell him Alex, for crying out loud!

That was a hint, Adrian!

S

13. gray1720

OK, OK, I get it now - I hadn't realised he was in Devon.:eek:

Adrian

14. steveandthedogs

Anyway, to get back to the thread, looking forward to the lenses arriving?

I think you'll enjoy the Flecktogon. Cracking little lens. Just don't get the lens hood mixed up with the one from the Cardinar. Unless you like serious vignetting... :rolleyes:. I'd show a couple, but even I'd get a bit embarrassed.

S

ps And that was a good price.

15. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I reckon Ektar is the best colour neg film ever, and with the limited speeds on the Epsilon shutter, you don't want anything too fast, or you could have trouble finding a short enough exposure in bright sun!

Not quite sure if that one is the best Ensign - I've got one with the Ross Xpress lens and Albada VF (I think known as the Mk IV) as well, which I might want to sell sometime. If you like I'll let you know (while being careful to keep within the forum rules! :) I keep my eBay usernames distinct from my forum names to avoid possible undue influence (either way! :) ) To be honest, I think I somehow prefer the Zeiss Ikon Ikonta 521 for 6x4.5.

Dunno why I bothered filling in "Exeter, Devon" in the Location field on my profile. Mind you. I suppose the "and Somerset sometimes" bit might add confusion. Not that Exeter has been in Somerset recently, but I have friends there I visit from time to time (though not so much lately due to health issues). Didn't we have a discussion of my location the last time the subject of Werra lenses arose? :)

I missed the bit about the fungus in those lenses, but I have found the sunlight trick seems to work moderately well, if you can give it long enough. Hopefully we will get some more sunshine this summer (it's just clouded over again here!)

The Flektogon & Cardinar do make a nice walk around set for the Werra - I'm quite fond of the 35mm FL - and the later ones have the nice VF brightlines to suit them all. Only downside is the wonderful combined lens hood / cap only fits the Tessar, and the others don't fit in the ERC when mounted.

Good luck getting the Advocate sorted - I've had a hankering for one of those for a while (did I mention I like 35mm FL?), but they always seem a bit on the pricy side.

16. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I hadn't realised there was a Werra with brightlines. My III had dark lines, stacked on a single window. It worked but could be a nuisance for available darkness shots.

17. gray1720

Thanks, folks! Yes, I'm hoping for sunlight too - at that price, I reckoned it was worth the risk. Infecting my other cameras? I think some of them would be improved! You probably did mention where you are, but I wasn't sure who Steve was referring to, and to be honest I have a lot of other carp going on at the mo which is battering my ability to remember!

I've got my fingers crossed for the Advocate. The flaw has to be in the link between the wind mech and the shutter cocking - the shutter will cock manually if I take it out of the camera - and I think I even know the part (it's not like there's many of them), but I could do with seeing a working one to compare, and that's the hard bit.

I'm going to have to get my Werra III out and check whether it has bright lines or dark boxes...

Adrian

18. steveandthedogs

My 'matic is darkline.

S

19. steveandthedogs

Alex - not really a fan of colour negs, but I'm willing to be converted. Especially when it was a free film! [thank you, L & A].

About the camera, I meant it's the best I've got, in that not only does it work it seems to work well. And it's so much smaller than the 820 and 420 half-ruins. And it's infinitely better than the Ikonta I don't have. :rolleyes:

Adrian - fungus? Sorry, didn't actually read the advertisement. Hope they aren't too bad. Just count your blessings you don't live in Wales, there are people in Bethesda and Blaenau Ffestiniog who have never heard of sunshine.

The lenses are a pain the fork to change in the street: remove hood and hold it; remove lens and hold it; find different lens and hold it; fit new lens; put old lens and hood it bag; compose shot. Which has wandered off in search of some hay.

On the other hand, anything is better than a Meccano. Sorry, Advocate. Even when they work.

Hope the carp isn't too serious.

S

20. gray1720

I've been to Bethesda (home of the wonderfully monikered Mynydd Dwr Chinese restaurant). You don't need to tell me that!

Adrian