1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

well its here

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CircleOfConfusion, Feb 21, 2006.

1. CircleOfConfusion

CircleOfConfusion Well-Known Member

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I must say I'm a little underwhelmed - it just seems to be a 20D with a few cosmetic tweaks. Not that there's anything wrong with tweaking an existing model, of course, but it's hard to see anything that really justifies a whole different model designation. Still, that's just a name, so it scarcely matters.

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Agreed. 20Dn should have been sufficient. The justification, as it seems to be with all Canon's mid-range models, is probably hoovering another grand out of the pockets of them 'as has to have the "latest & greatest" - that's 5 models (D30, D60, 10D, 20D, 30D) compared to Nikon's 2 (D100, D200).

4. Yes, but does it shift cameras? Who was the winner?

Would love to see the relative production figures.

Still the 30D strikes me as a "stopgap" more in retaliation to the D200 than anything else - classic "spoiler" move as seen in the constant battle between the two. Sort of Coronation Street Canon V Eastender Nikon.

I would really like Sony to enter the fray with a good sound D200/30D competitor that shakes the others.

Anyone with a Minolta 7d? How does it fare in body construction/robustness against these two? I remember it was in the same £1100 bracket a couple of years ago, so presumably its competitive from that aspect, so upgrading its spec to be current might yield a feasible competitor.

Mind you after the conservative FTL, Olympus launched the M1, so I suppose there is an outside chance they could launch a stunner!

Paul

5. ElectricPics

ElectricPics Well-Known Member

From EOS Magazine - the 30D should be on sale (body only) in March 2006 at a recommended retail price of £1099.99.

Kit versions will be available later (probably in May), with the camera + EF-S 18-55mm lens at £1179.99, and the camera + EF-S 17-85mm lens at £1539.99.

EOS Magazine - EOS 30D

6. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I'm never sure how you make the comparison between the ranges...AP just matched the 5D against the 200D...others are now comparing the 30D against the 200D(Fred Galbraith)...AP previously compared the 20D against the D70S....

Is there any point?

Graeme

7. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

200D? Do you mean the Canon 20D?

8. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

No that Nikon thing with the D200ish sort of name.

Graeme

9. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I guess that would be the D200 then!

10. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Haven't been able to compare the 7D against the D200, but I'd put the 7D above the 20D, not only in build but spec and image quality, I also know of a professional camera reviewer who would put the 7D above the D200 especially in terms of image quality especially in the colour area, in fact he reckons that Canons colour reproduction has up until the 5D been 'lacking'

11. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

AAgh, there are so many confusing names, you would have thought by now there would be some sort of Logical system, D30, D60, 10D, 20D, 30D :D

Its like the EOS 5 being replaced by the 3 and not a six, where the **** did 3 come from?

It should have been the Pro level 1,2,3 ETC then the Semi Pro 10,20,30 then the high end 100, 200, 300 ETC ETC.

12. Why? This goes in completely the opposite direction to logic.

You used to start off with a beginners Meccano kit 0 and work your way up to the master builder at 10

You start on a BMW 1 series and work your way up via 3 & 5 series to a 7, don the dark glasses, tinted windows and earn "real respect" :D

Ditto Peugeot, Volvo, Mercedes (in the old days before they started going A, B, C!), Alfa, SAAB, dear old Rover, Mazda, Citroen etc etc.

So why do camera makers want to invert the world?

"I've got a D2X" "is that the simple beginners one then?" "Should I but a D200 as its obviously got a bigger engine?" "No you want the D50" "But thats a larger number than the D2 and a smaller one than the D200"

Go on explain that!

Paul

13. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Paul,

When did you last shoot an image with a motor vehicle?

Do you think that Canon/Nikon don't consider consumer perceptions?

Canon 3D is next - Photokina September!

14. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

I think September this year is a bit early for the 5D replacement.

15. phiggy

phiggy Well-Known Member

I see it more like a up date rather than upgrade.
    Nikon D70 became D70s
    Canon 20D becomes 30D ?
    For similar improvements.

I thought Canon was intending to go full frame with future D slr's?

16. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

NOt at this price, not yet.

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

With film EOS this is more or less how it seems to have been...

The EOS 1 types are full pro cameras, the other single digit models (3 & 5) seem to be semi-pro/advanced enthusiast types, the double digit models appear to have been more aimed at the experienced hobbyist, the triple digit versions probably best suit those who are just beginning to take photography seriously while the four digit versions are for happy snappers who don't use the camera for much more than holiday pictures.

This is only my interpretation of the system and not anything Canon have actually admitted (AFAIK)...........

Even then I think there are anomalies; for instance the EOS100 in some ways seems better specified than the EOS10 and I suspect there may be others.

I don't reckon the digital model numbers are that far off either; the 1D models are pro cameras, the 5D I would say is a semi-pro/advanced enthusiasts camera, the 20D etc are very suited to experienced hobbyists and the 300/350D models offer a decent entry point into digital for those who want a bit more than the average compact can offer.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Canon were to launch a 3000D type in the near future aimed squarely at the happy snapper with a PC.........

As to why the change from D30/D60 to 10D/20D I guess it could be partly to avoid confusion with Nikon but I suspect more to bring the digital numbering system more into line with the film version.

Of course this could all be complete cobblers..................and probably is....... :)

18. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

No...they have always said that there lower to mid models would retain the 1.6 factor. Their continued commitment to this strategy can be seen in the form of the new L glass EFS lens.
    The full frame models will be restricted to the top of the range and pro models. The prices will tend to come down more if they settle on particular chips for a period of time...developing the matching software etc to gain optimum output. So the replacement for the 5D will probably be built around the same (or close derivitive) sensor chip as currently used. The big leaps in chip technology seem to be slowing down...

I think the big question is .....do Canon think that their full frame chips and the data handling are advanced enough to nudge the 8.2 chip out of the 1DnII?

Graeme

19. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see how many pro's buy, and then regularly use, the 5D. If the pro mob - and I'm really thinking of the likes of Burgy and Co here - take more to the idea of a full frame digibox at this price than the 1Ds then I have to suspect the current 'APS-H'-ish 1D sensor might well disappear.

20. snapperlondon

snapperlondon Well-Known Member

I think Canon just change the name at the end of each production run! :D