1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, it’s better than I thought..

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by pixelpuffin, Jul 3, 2021.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

625FCA74-B731-48E0-A45D-474119E72971.jpeg I recently discovered the canon EF 22-55. It’s a long discontinued consumer lens, plastic mount ,ultrasonic motor. But, it fits full frame.
    I had to try one…
    £46
    Mounted it on my canon 5diii and popped outside into the garden. I love the colours. I’m quite chuffed tbh. Seems better than I was expecting.

Gezza, Learning, zx9r and 2 others like this.
  2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There seems to be a strong rule of diminishing returns between cost and complexity to image quality when it comes to lenses.

Benchmark likes this.
  3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

There is often a lot of complete bollocks written about lenses. If you don't want very large prints from the images, it can be surprising how little you have to pay to get something that gives image quality that is good enough for your needs. The same, of course, applies to camera bodies and digital sensors.

Whenever I read about lenses with four figure prices that are used for portraiture, I always suspect that they will show so many minor skin blemishes that the subject might prefer the results from a 'softer' lens.

Be advised that the above are personal opinions, and should not be mistaken for factual statements.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

If anyone's interested I have jamjars which have superb optical qualities

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Bottom of a glass works as well...

Hettythroughaglass.jpg

Zak52, zx9r and Terrywoodenpic like this.
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It was designed for APS - it was the kit lens for the EOS IX7, the cheaper EOS APS SLR - the IX came with the 24-85. It does cover full frame, though. Produces quite nice colours, but it's not all that sharp. Probably doesn't matter for many things.
    It's rumoured that it was this lens that was stretched to make the original 18-55 EF-S kit lens, but I've no idea if that's true or not.

7. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

personally I think it’s sharper than you’re giving credit for.
    The above image is reduced massively for uploading here, whereas the image I took viewed at full image size on my monitor is sharp indeed where I focused
    It was taken handheld, @55mm wide open at 5.6 add the slight breeze blowing too
    I think it’s remarkable, it’s now attached to my 5diii.

8. Chester AP

It is a common opinion that the world often looks better through the bottom of a (preferably empty) beer glass .

If you want to experiment with abysmal image quality, and can write the required complete bollocks to accompany your images, look at page 23 in the AP issue dated 29th of May for inspiration.

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

...or that article on box cameras....

10. Andrew Flannigan

No need - just forget to set things correctly...

Cars passing under railway bridge Cowick Street Exeter GM5 _1050041.jpg

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Or the LOMO site?

12. Chester AP

Don't admit you made a mistake, but give it a pretentious name ('Walking Home After the Rave'?) and submit it to next year's Taylor Wessing competition.

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I could not do that if I tried. How did you do it?

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Followed a google streetview car?

15. Andrew Flannigan

I really have no idea. I was using a Panasonic GM5 with an Olympus 9-18mm lens. This is the only shot like that which I have. :confused:

16. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

How very strange

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Double exposure of some sort, things in motion show movement.
    You could start a whole new fad Andrew!

18. Andrew Flannigan

Aaaaarrrrrggggg! :eek:

19. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Accidentally changed the curtain sync on the flash?

20. Andrew Flannigan

No flash fitted. :(