1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird pattern on A700 images...

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by FujiSigmaNolta, Oct 14, 2008.

1. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

OK, now this is a bit odd. I only recall seeing this on my Dimage A1 and for a camera like the A700 it is very weird.
    In some images taken at higher ISOs I see some lines running down certain areas of the image. It is not like banding and they are vertical (on the Dimage A1 they used to be oblique, particularly if using drive mode, the first would be alright and the second and the third would have said lines in them).
    In honesty, it just happened today and it would be great if someone could tell me why it happens or if I need to return another camera.

Here's one example where you can see what I am talking about. If you look at the top left side of the hat and running down part of the subjects face (more accurately over the left eye), there are these vertical "scanline" like lines.
    As I said, I only used to see this with the Dimage A1 and when I sent if for a free repair under Sony, it had the CCD replaced (according to the engineer's report, but I still see the lines there). Now, this camera is only a few days old and I am not sure if I should continue with the Sony now. I was happy with the camera until today.

Any ideas?

2. geepee

geepee Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't see any problems with the image. There aren't any lines that I can see.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I couldn't initially see any problems with the image but I saved the file, opened in CS3 and pixel peeped at 150% and I could then see something like the effect you are complaining about in some of the shadow areas above and by the left eye.

They look like jpeg artefacts actually, what's the origin of the file, raw (what software did you use to convert) or jpeg (which quality). In other words how and from what was it processed? Is this the only file affected?

A friend had something similar, only much more pronounced, with a Nikon and that was fixed under guarantee but they didn't say what the problem was caused by.

4. FujiSigmaNolta

Hi Roger,

It's RAW+JPEG straight out of the camera and there is another file affected. It's strange as it's the only two I think.
    I can see the problem even when the image is zoomed out,it shows as some kind of low contrast lines over the affected area and I can also see it at 100%.

5. Roger_Provins

... but are the lines there if you process the raw file?

6. FujiSigmaNolta

Yes, it's there on the RAW file too, I just checked. What should I do? Go back to the shop and get another? That'll be my third and from different retailers, the first from CameraWorld now the second from Jessops! I am beginning to have my doubts...is it possible that it's related to an electrical problem? Lets say,it doesn't like my Sigma Super ST DG500 flashgun for Minolta/Sony? Having said that the Dimage A1 simply had that problem with no flash at all...

7. Roger_Provins

Difficult, but if it easy you may as well change it I suppose ... I think I would ... but it does seem very odd to say the least. I've checked other Sony specific forums and not found any mention of this particular problem.

8. FujiSigmaNolta

I just been shooting with it the whole day and quite a few at high ISO and it did not reproduce effect. It is very very strange and it was just the two shots. In fact, I am very pleased with today's shots including some at ISO1600 and 6400. If I see the effect again, I will return it. I literally need a good and fast camera for daily use and the A700 is it (I just need the grip because I can't handle a camera without these days). If that thing creeps up again then I will change it.

9. Roger_Provins

Fingers crossed then :)

I wouldn't be without my vertical grip ... about the best grip made I reckon :) ... they do seem to have crept up in price though.

10. FujiSigmaNolta

Bad news...just I finished the last post and as I am sending off some photos I just seen those lines again in a photo taken at ISO3200 exactly in the same area, I almost missed them since this photo is on landscape. I think I'm gonna go to Jessies tomorrow... :(

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Did you boost particular parts of the image(s) at the conversion stage? I was converting a batch of high ISO images last night that required a bit of extra exposure in the shadows. The resultant converted images showed a similar effect in the darker areas although I got more of a grid pattern than simple lines.

Do the lines appear in the final print? It may be that the lines are 'not real' in the sense that they are a display effect caused by screen resolution conflicts. I have occasional had patterns appear on screen that are not in the final print.

12. FujiSigmaNolta

Hi Nigel,

No, they are straight out of the camera and they show the same effect on my girlfriend's laptop as I was showing them to her. I am off to get another one anyway, I think the A700 stood it's ground as a press camera it's just a shame about the fault/defect. I had the same problem in a Dimage A1 but the lines were oblique and all over the image and the effect was also much stronger, it was deemed a fault by Sony themselves.

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

you don't seem to be having much luck with the A700. Fingers crossed the next one is up scratch...

14. FujiSigmaNolta

I just came back with a new one, lets see what happens. If I have any more trouble, I am definately getting my money back and keep it for something else. In the meantime, I sent an email to Sony to keep an eye on their QC with the A700, in the off chance that they will actually read and take on board.

I mean it would be less strange if it was all over the sensor or running down or accross a part of the sensor, but it was patches...???....

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Best of luck with it!

16. FujiSigmaNolta

Thanks Nick,the battery has just charged and I had a go at high ISO to see if there are any problems and so far none, but then again I didn't see any until a few days later.
    I am impressed with Sony's service over the net, I also just got a reply from a Sony rep who gave me his contact details in case anything else happens with this camera and he also told me that he is not aware of any such issues with the A700.

I am just a bit annoyed that I missed the Team GB Olympians parade today that I have been planning for a while, but that's life.

17. Roger_Provins

.. nor me. I scoured all the other forums and couldn't find a single example of your fault ... it's unique :)

18. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Couple of days gone, what's the latest?

19. FujiSigmaNolta

Well, all seems well, I haven't given it a big test but I will do so soon, maybe tomorrow. I'm gonna but my 50mm,28mm and 35-105mm in the bag and go out.

20. glcook1

glcook1 New Member

I'm glad someone else is seeing weird patterns using the A700. I too am seeing it. My pattern, I thought was dust on the lens or sensor, but I had them both professionally cleaned at Sony and am still seeing it. I updated the CMOS to 3.0 and about to update it again. The pattern really shows when I zoom out using my 75-300, or 105 lenses. I borrowed a friends tamron 75-300 and it still happens. I am at a loss.

TIA,
    Lawrence