1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We nearly lost him!

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by AdrianSadlier, Jul 29, 2021.

1. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I nearly lost my best friend, Buddy, 3 weeks ago.

Buddy, as many of you may know, is an older Westie (nearly 13). He had been slowing down, appetite not as good as it used to be, energy not as high as it had been. We thought he was just getting old, lazy and fat - how foolish I was.

25 days ago, he deteriorated suddenly, and seemed to be in pain. I rushed him to the vet. Long story short, he had a huge, cancerous, tumour in his spleen. He went through emergency surgery a few hours later, to remove his spleen. It ruptured as it was being removed. Spleen and tumour together were the size of a miniature basketball. We nearly lost him.

This is him on his walk tonight, 24 days after the operation, greeting and playing with a much bigger and younger dog. He even got the "zoomies" yesterday..

I have my best friend (non human) back. I don't know for how long (we will not go down the chemo route - that would be selfish and cruel). But I, my wife and daughters, will treasure and make the most of everyday.

Zak52, Dan S, steveandthedogs and 3 others like this.
  2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Wow, amazing how tough those little dogs can be, plenty of much bigger dogs have been finished by tumours like that. Yes, treasure every day - and give him lots of love from us!

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Very pleased it worked out well. Lucky you.

One of our dogs developed a severe cancer last Nov and only survived two months. Effected me much more than expected.

Enjoy while you can.

zx9r and AdrianSadlier like this.
  4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Dogs are family they give us the same pains and joys..

5. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Buddy's troubles. Give him a nose boop from me.

6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Buddy. He's a gorgeous little lad.
    Glad to see he has bounced back, and I hope you have a long time to come with him.