1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Normal access will be restored as soon as is possible.
    Dismiss Notice

We could treat the EU elections as a referendum.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It would be irresponsible to treat a general election as a referendum. But the EU election? why not. All our traditional parties are totally split, except the Lib Dem mini party. We have the Brexit Farage party on the one hand, and the new pro EU dissidents party. The scene is set for a perfect popularist election if the EU elections take place.
    I bet that both Lab and Cons already realise this. It might be quite an incentive to get some sort of pseudo compromise which stops UK taking part in the EU elections.

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

How does this election work? Is it based on electorates, or is it a proportional system?

3. Learning

Some form of proportionality I believe.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think everyone already accepted, that's what it would be about. But seems like Farage had united the Brexiteers more effectively than anyone has done the Remainers. Although the majority might vote Remain, that's not how the seats will represent it.

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

When was the last time the Conservatives didn't treat a general election like a referendum on EU membership?

peterba likes this.
  6. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

But I think it's important to elect people who want to do a serious job. If we need a referendum we should hold one.... and we do need one.

7. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

The more people who get up off their backsides and bother to go to vote the better?

Lynn

peterba likes this.
  8. Learning

but only if they know why they ae voting the way that they do.
    My hope is that most people do understand the issues, have a rational decision (even if that rational decision is different to my rational decision), and then take the trouble to vote.

9. Learning

My memory is a bit rusty.What year did we join the EEC?

10. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Well that rules our leave voters who still can't agree on what they wanted....

Graeme

peterba likes this.
  11. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

And the issues are?? 3 years have gone by and, no matter where I look, I'm still waiting for a coherent and intelligent explanation of the reasons for wanting to leave!

Lynn

steveandthedogs and peterba like this.
  12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

you, me and about fifty million in this country and a few more abroad

13. Learning

I am yet to hear a godd reason to stay.

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Unicorns, blue passports, wibble.

RogerMac and peterba like this.
  15. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

We joined in 1973, and confirmed that decision in the 1975 referendum.

16. peterba

Yes, quite. I'm not getting a sense of any major movement of Leave or Remain voters, in either direction. However, 12.9 million voters didn't vote in 2016, and those voters (PROVIDED that they are sufficiently energised by the current débâcle, to actually bother to vote in a second referendum) would appear to hold the key to the outcome of any such referendum.

With any luck, they just *might* save us from this ludicrous self-inflicted wound - but it is by no means certain.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  17. peterba

You haven't been listening, then.

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

It's no so much my job but one of my colleagues is 60, weighs about 6 stone and doesn't do computers. Anybody got any ideas for what she is going to do for the next 7 years?

peterba likes this.
  19. peterba

Wait for a second referendum? ;)

20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

By 7th May! Last day 11th, first day of my new job 13th.

Been getting insurance arranged.....Wonder how many dog walkers are insured to take pictures too? Mentioning I'm insured for both might have others reconsidering their insurance or their photography policy as mine wanted it listed as 2 separate professions for the public liability aspect of it.

Catriona and John Farrell like this.