1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water drop photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Bazarchie, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I bought used kit a few weeks ago but have only tried it a few times and have a long way to go. At least I am learning how to use my flash. There are lots of videos out there, but if anyone has some killer tips they would be appreciated. I get the impression it is trial and error and needs a great deal of patience.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Probably. Why not post some?

3. Sanjeev Nanda

Sanjeev Nanda Active Member

Yes I agree, we would love to see a couple of the shots.
    ~Sanjeev Nanda

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Hi Steve - what kit did you buy? Some of the people who come to my workshops asked about water droplet photography and we kind of Heath Robinsoned a kit together using ziplock food bags, a pin, some electrical tape and a curtain wire. It's fair to say that while it was fun, it wasn't accurate and the photographic results were a bit hit and miss! Would be interested to know how much a proper kit costs and if it's worth the money!

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Geren likes this.
  6. Bazarchie

I will post some shots.

Geren, I will forward details by PM. Too early for me to decide if the kit is any good and if the price is fair. A kit that can be shared at workshops, camera clubs and colleges makes a lot of sense.

7. Bazarchie

8. Bazarchie

9. Bazarchie

daft_biker and EightBitTony like this.
  10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

The first rule of water drop photography is not to use plain water.

(Nice shots though)

This is worth a watch

Bazarchie likes this.
  11. Sanjeev Nanda

This is a response from a gentleman I was talking to on another forum. He posted a picture of his droplet photography as well. I asked him how he achieved the end result, and this was his response:

That's is a very good question. On the water shots I take the speed is 1/250 as I leave it that speed for all normal shooting. The flash is what stops the motion though so it would be alright to use any SS you would like to. The amount of ambient light is the only thing that might effect the exposure. You can shoot these kind of shots in a darkened room and use the bulb setting for the shutter if you would want to. The most important thing with these shots is the amount of time that you want the water to drop. I program that into my system and it fires the flash and shutter at the same time when that time expires. It takes a considerable amount of time generally speaking to arrive at the time necessary for a good collision.[​IMG] there are lots of variables involved also like the depth of the water, humidity, and viscosity of the water to name a few.

You're on the right track with your work, OP. That is the reason a little nudge towards the right frame of mind would vastly improve the shot, and make you a better photographer in the process. Nevertheless, great job on the pictures.Cheers!
    ~Sanjeev Nanda

Bazarchie likes this.
  12. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

This has got my interest :)
    From what I've read since this post appeared you don't need all the fancy kit as long as you have lots of patience and time and are willing to experiment.
    Think I might be giving this a go, once I finish cutting the grass that is.

Sanjeev Nanda and EightBitTony like this.
  13. Bazarchie

You are likely to need a lot of patience whether you take the Heath Robinson or the kit approach, so many variables. Good luck.

14. Sanjeev Nanda

I keep thinking that in days of old, when photographers had to work with a lot less than they do now, They had to use their minds and kills to boot, The Gods of photography have given us so much more in the years past, all we need to apply is diligence. Patience is, I would argue, a prerequisite of being a photographer - period! It's the greatest skill anyone can wish to hone if they want to click eye-catching photos!
    ~Sanjeev Nanda

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Steve, A LCE junk mail just hit my inbox. Tomorrow, 21st April, they have a 1 hour tutorial on water drop photography. Advice is go to their Facebook page. The tutorial runs from 10:30 to 11:30

Pete

16. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Whoops .... multiple water drops :eek: ... ;)

Apr22-20-AP-Wed-DSCN2586 copy.jpg

Cheers,

Jack