1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Wasdale reflection

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by alfbranch, Mar 25, 2020.

1. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

Taken last Thursday when I went for a wander round part of the lake towards the screes to check things out having not been there for a long time. I had been at one of the usual spots for sunrise and that hadn't been great and the wind picked up.

On the way the wind dropped again I stated to shoot again but I had left most of my gear in the car I had one lens and no filters.

Here are two versions of the same shot

[​IMG]Wastwater reflection by Alf Branch, on Flickr

[​IMG]Wastwater mono reflection by Alf Branch, on Flickr

What do you think?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think it is a bit of a fight for attention between the big triangle, the foreground reeds and the lit background.

alfbranch likes this.
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Mono for me, as it's a game of shapes. Like it a lot, but grad on the sky would have been the thing.

alfbranch likes this.
  4. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

I couldn't resist an attempt to edit this great scene. Its based on a screen capture so not too subtle. I tried mono but that "triangle" just dominated the image. Just used lightroom/

[​IMG]

Would love to have a go at the RAW file!

RovingMike likes this.
  5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I love the reeds in the foreground, like some archaic and long-forgotten script.

Hvaet! For here is Wasdale!

alfbranch and Learning like this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Yes.
    Also I found myself looking closely at the Napes. This is one of those landscapes where detail must be extreme. The big picture matters but to anyone who has climbed there we need far more than can be shown in a low resolution internet image. I prefer the monochrome but that is probably just because it takes me back to the days when that is all that I shot.
    Of the colour versions I prefer the subdued,slightly hazy, colours of Alf's original. It is realistic. To me Adrian's rendering is too much like a pretty postcard. Either way its a good photograph of a wonderful location.

alfbranch and AdrianSadlier like this.
  7. AdrianSadlier

Oucho_O

8. alfbranch

Sorry it doesnt work for you Peter

Thanks Mike
    The mono allows for more PP

Adrian
    You are not getting near the RAW file with idea of PP it is like a terrible HDR nightmare IMO people need to accept that some areas are in shadow and are therefore darker

Thanks Adrian

Thanks

Sorry to add to that

9. alfbranch

Is this a bit more detailed

[​IMG]Great Gable snow and cloud by Alf Branch, on Flickr

or this

[​IMG]Kirk fell spindrift by Alf Branch, on Flickr

10. AdrianSadlier

Hi Alf, that's a rather extreme reaction.

Firstly, it is not HDR, it is a result of trying to work with a 8-bit screen grab, which I admitted was "not too subtle" in my post. Subtle edits of a shot such as yours is nigh on impossible with an 8 bit file, as someone of your experience should well be aware.

Your comment that "people need to accept that some areas are in shadow and are therefore darker...." whilst valid, the tone of it is tending towards condescension. I think you will find that a very quick view of my images posted for constructive criticism on this forum that I fully appreciate the uses (and artistic benefits) of the full light spectrum, including shadows.

The request for access to the RAW file was so that I could attempt to edit it in a more subtle, informed way. I fully respect your rights as the author of the image to deny such a request (I am very particular myself as to who I will let near my RAW files :))

However I cannot respect the manner in which it was communicated.

Regards

Adrian

alfbranch and Craig20264 like this.
  11. alfbranch

I am sorry if my comments have offended you Adrian as I was probably too harsh when using written text alone. I respect you and your work. Yes I realise that it would not be easy to edit from a screen grab and should have allowed more leeway.

As for shadows I have all too often seen comments about lifting shadows where people do not accept that they should be darker than the rest of the scene.

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  12. AdrianSadlier

Hi Alf

Thanks for that. Sometimes I can be a bit oversensitive :) BTW, I too hate HDR (that is detectable). ;)

Kind regards

Adrian