1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wasdale, Lake District

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by smr, Jan 27, 2020.

1. smr

smr Active Member

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That has some impact! Flickr folks seem enthusiastic. No suggestions for change.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Sorry to be negative but there's nothing of interest in the foreground other than the light, but that pulls my eyes away from the mountains which are the natural interest. The sky looks too dark to my eyes (I'm viewing on a phone which may also affect the appearance) so I'm left wondering if you got any others from the shoot with a more compliant composition?

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Hello Joel. That certainly has impact! You can anticipate a 'but' coming can't you.
    I know that location. It is beautiful.
    I realise that you have used a lot of skill and knowledge to process it but sadly I think that you have gone too far. It is overcooked. I suspect that there is a good photograph hiding in there. Please show us a more sympathetic interpretation of it.
    Having said that I realise that some people may like it, but to me it is simple overdone.

5. PeteRob

It is deliberately overdone. As such I thought it worked quite well. I was wondering what I’d do to restore it to a more conventional view. Looks like a radial filter has been used to bring down the edges, clouds and shadows burned in, saturation upped and colour temperature warmed. I think I’d reverse those a bit and take a slice off the bottom to the crack in the rightmost rock to better balance the foreground and background.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I had a little go at it, but desatting a bit really killed the mood. It is quite tricky to keep the long wavelength light and brooding sky and clouds. If you lose the very low temp light, the foreground does become very bland, then you have to look at letterboxing with a chunk of, I think.

7. smr

smr Active Member

Thanks for the comments, will reply to them later on.

8. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

If you have the raw image, you can probably make a cracking shot. It's just a bit overcooked.
    Maybe your monitor is a bit bright?

9. smr

smr Active Member

Thanks for the comments. I think the original edit was perhaps a bit too dark so I've adjusted a few things. What do you think to this iteration ?

[​IMG]IMG_0426-Edit-5 by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

10. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

Crop a chunk off the bottom I think it lacks brightness and contrast

More like this but still needs work

[​IMG]Not my shot 2020 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

11. PeteRob

That’s nearly the crop I had in mind - keep a sliver more so the rock on the bottom right isn’t cut. There is a natural break in it that can align with the cut.

The processing changes in #9 are an improvement over #1.

12. RovingMike

Yes Alf's crop is what I had in mind, but still a bit hot for me. This perhaps?

[​IMG]

Catriona likes this.
  13. PeteRob

Now I am on my computer lake not mine.jpg

14. RovingMike

That's what I meant by going a bit bland.

15. PeteRob

Yes, it’s a narrow line between too much and too little. I didn’t touch the saturation when I lightened it.

16. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I hate to disagree with Mike and Alf, Master of Wasdale, but I'd leave a slice more on the bottom - there's a joint in the rock front right and I think just below that is the place to go, otherwise it leaves that front rock hanging. If you look at Pete's crop above, I'd go for just a little lower than that.

17. smr

smr Active Member

That's the crop I went for when going for a more pano / letterbox crop. Just underneath that rock on the right.

18. smr

smr Active Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020