1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WANTED : Mains units for METZ 45 flash series N21 or N22

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by PeteE, Jul 3, 2020.

  1. PeteE

    PeteE Well-Known Member

    I have lots of 45 series Metz Mecablitz Hammer-Head flashes now - mostly donated BUT all the NiCad batteries are not charging . So I am trying to source the discontinued AC Mains Units to power them off the mains NOT the Mains Battery Charger units -- I HAVE those. Earlier 45 series take N21 and later such as CL-4 and CL-3 take N22 i HAVE been in contact with INTROPHOTO the former METZ importers but nothing in their Warehouse.
  2. GeoffR

    GeoffR Well-Known Member

    If you can get the output specification it should be a relatively simple matter to build a suitable device. Alternatively, if you have the specification of the batteries it may be possible to re-cell them with Ni-Mh or Li-ion cells to achieve the same terminal voltage. An original Metz mains power unit may be a more difficult proposition.

    I did find this http://www.photographyreview.com/product/flash-and-lighting/flashes/metz/45cl-4-flash.html which may be of interest, particularly as it suggests using the Ni-Cd casing as a means of connecting a power supply. That it may need 8A makes designing a power supply a little harder but it certainly isn't difficult to do.
  3. SXH

    SXH Well-Known Member

    There are loads come up when you Google them - but when you check, they are all gone.Obviously a popular and/or unreliable item. ;)

    Having the batteries re-celled my be the way forward, but expensive. Someone on a blog was talking about how he had the batteries for his old Rollei SLR re-celled. But that was in the States.

    Or find a mains unit that provides the same voltage/current/polarity?
  4. GeoffR

    GeoffR Well-Known Member

    Re-celling batteries is not difficult, the hard bit is usually building a charger that will charge them safely and completely but as Ni-Cd, Ni-Mh and Li-ion batteries all use constant current chargers there are plenty of options around. A quick Google will probably find any number of charger designs. Re-celling is only expensive if you pay somebody to do it for you, DIY is easy and much cheaper, but note my comments about charging, Li-ion battery chargers MUST include a full charge cut-off circuit.
  5. PeteE

    PeteE Well-Known Member

    There is ONE N22 on American E-bay -- he wants $45 + Shipping expensive and declined my bid of $32 BUT I notice it says on the Unit '120V' when British Mains are 230V . If I spend lots of money to get it will it be 'Fried' by the British Mains Voltage ?
  6. PeteRob

    PeteRob Well-Known Member

    Yes, it will likely get fried. Although many transformers are dual voltage something sold into the US market is not likely to work on 240 V. You can get 110 V power supplies, they are used for power tools on building sites but they are not exactly pocket sized and use special plugs (not US plugs).
  7. GeoffR

    GeoffR Well-Known Member

    You can get a 110V power supply, designed for using US equipment in the UK but, as most modern chargers are "universal", you may not find one as easily as used to be the case.

Share This Page