1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wallpaper

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bazarchie, May 24, 2021.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

And if using lining paper that should be hung horizontally under the wallpaper. In my last house, the walls were bad in a lot of rooms, so I did the same as you and put decent lining paper up first then painted over it.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I'm suddenly rather glad I have a traditional village house - this wallpapering business sounds horrendous. In some respects it's a pretty high maintenance abode, but at least I don't have to mess with wallpaper, particularly with two 4.5 metre ceilings, and one 5.1 metre ceiling. A good thick layer of plaster, and a couple of coats of white damp-proof emulsion, and you're good for 10 to 15 years.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I agree the buying bit is optional. For years I used a nut (as in nut and bolt) on a bit of string.

Catriona likes this.
  4. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

If emulsioning, Hanging the lining paper vertically is easier and IMO looks better and is easier to butt joint. If butt jointed you can still put patterned wallpaper over the top of it.

5. dream_police

If paint yes, vertical. If wallpapering, then horizontal so there is less chance of having other vertical lines showing behind the top paper.

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Fortunately I already have a plumb bob. Must be 30 years+ old.

7. dream_police

Well the plastering is finished. I have always liked the colour of fresh plastered walls. Sarah has found the colour "setting plaster" from F&B so I think that colour will feature on some walls.

Zou likes this.
  8. Bazarchie

Skimming is better than lining paper I assume? In my area plasterers are in very short supply and consequently can charge a fortune for skimming.

9. dream_police

I assume so. I have had 2 guys here today from 0900-1800. They had to plaster in several areas where it had gone back to brick then fully skimmed one wall (pictured) then partial skims on 3 others and blended it in very well. Did an excellent job, although I have used him before. I paid £400. I don't know whether that is expensive or not as 2 others never got back to me, but Kev did and as I have used him before I knew i'd be happy with his work.

AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  10. Bazarchie

Very good price. I have heard some of our locals charge £1,000 for a medium sized room.

Catriona likes this.
  11. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Having bought an old Victorian house back in 2019 and then having 8mths of building work going on to make some changes and 'make safe' another part of the house... we've only just got around to decorating. So far we've finished the kitchen, dining room, family bathroom, family toilet - all the walls needed either re-plastering or skimming. Then lining paper put up and finally painted.

Still got the lounge (needs carpet but wallpapering/painting all done) and ensuite bathroom to finish (couldn't finish it due to building work). And then... three bedrooms to do.

Oh, and we've tankied the cellar as well!

It will look good when it's all finished :D

Bazarchie, Catriona and John Farrell like this.
  12. dream_police

My wife has always wanted a wacky wallpaper to make a "statement" wall. We went to a store today to look and found this after looking through several hundred books. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but in fairness it will go with the colours we have chosen for the house. It will go on one wall that is basically an open plan entrance way into the rear room so is broken up by an open double door width gap, and one high wall on the stairwell.

[​IMG]C&C Lemur Navy by Nigel G, on Flickr

Not everyones cup of tea no doubt.

Bazarchie, John Farrell and Zou like this.
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I wouldn't, but I bet it'll look great.

14. dream_police

Hope so. Luckily it wasn't Carrie Symond's prices!

Zou likes this.
  15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It should fit well. Quirky, unusual and eclectic! OK... you're both nuts! :)

John Farrell and dream_police like this.
  16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

If I had a feature wall, it would probably have posters all over it. I've got my two 'Galleries' of postcards (art) but I miss my old study/library where I had feature posters on the PC workstations wall. Ah well, the magnolia here will see me out now. I am not shifting furniture at my age.

17. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

You mean you had to pay for it yourself? :D

peterba, MJB and dream_police like this.
  18. dream_police

Unfortunately I have no willing donors.

19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Have you had it serviced regularly to check for correct alignment? :)

peterba, ascu75, WillieJ and 2 others like this.
  20. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

That’s an unusual shape for a television

Zou, AndyTake2, dream_police and 2 others like this.